Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain

E-TEC normal operating temperature

What is the normal operating temperature range on my engine once warmed up and running at 3500-4000 rpm?

My concern is reported thermostat problems.

I have I-Command digital guages so it's easy for me to monitor running temp.

Thanks

Al
E_TEC 115hp
Serial No 05333751
Model E115DPLIN
Admiral

Re: E-TEC normal operating temperature

Your thermostats only control the engine temp ( about 160°F) at idle and low rpm, above that the pressure relief valve opens and raw water flows through the engine. The high speed running temp varies with water inlet temperature. Most larger outboards of any make operate the same way.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                                                 -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Captain

[ Edited ]

I want to make sure engines reaches normal operating temp and not running too cold. (thermostat stuck open).

Are you saying thermostat is bypassed ? What if water is 32 deg?

Temp guage is not much use if I don't know what the normal operating range is.

Al
E_TEC 115hp
Serial No 05333751
Model E115DPLIN
Highlighted
Admiral

From the factory service service manual:

The engine temperatures listed
below are based on an intake water temperature
of 70° ± 10°F (21° ± 3°C).

Typical pyrometer readings at IDLE speed should
be 150°F ± 20°F (66°C ± 11°C).

Engine temperature should decrease from normal
IDLE temperatures as pressure relief valve opens.
Valve should open at approximately 2500 RPM.

Typical temperature displays at WOT speed
should be 120°F ± 20°F (50°C ± 11°C).

[Engine operating temperatures may be higher due to above normal water temperatures in warmer climates.]

Operating temperature must not exceed 194°F
(90°C).

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Captain

[ Edited ]

Thanks - that's what I was looking for.

What happens in cold water - 32 deg - if the thermostat is being by-passed what prevents engiine temp from getting too cool. Most engines experience problems like execssive wear if they don't reach their normal operating temp?

Al
E_TEC 115hp
Serial No 05333751
Model E115DPLIN
Admiral

When the relief valve opens allowing full water flow but under pressure, the engine is in homogeneous mode generating more power reulting in higher combustion chamber temperatures which do not require precise thermostatic control. The Evinrude E-TECs have been proven in the cold Arctic and Alaskan water for over 12 years now.

Mate

I just bought a 2008 e-tec 200 HO. 

Previously I have been running an inboard engine and smaller 2-stroke engines with no temperature gauge, so I i do not know what operating temp to expect.

Ran the engine today, and at cruising speed (3200 - 4000 RPM) the temp was around 165 f (74 c). This would be at the higher end of what I would expect from my previos inboard.

Does this sound right? What temperatures should i expect? Am I ok as long as i am under 190 F?

Admiral

As long as the engine temperature is below 195° the engine will run normally. At idle and just above, the thermostats control engine temperature around 165°.  At midrange and above it depends on lake or ocean water temps and the load on the engine.  If there are any hull protrusions or improperly mounted transducers near the centerline of the engine, aerated water drawn into the cooling system can also affect temperatures.