Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Engine free rotation G2-300

Engine free rotation

I have just taken delivery, this past Wednesday, of a new boat with E-Tec G2 300. 

When cruising at low speed with RPM in the idle rpm to 2000 I note a disturbing low frequency knocking noise, and also substantial free-play in the engine rotation - at least 5 degrees - it 'bounces' freely left to right and right again.

When on my lift with engine turned off, I checked this rotational free-play by twisting the engine case, and note it does rotate freely without effort. 

This cannot be right. Can anyown please advise?

Thank you
Admiral

Re: Engine free rotation G2-300

If you mean by "engine free rotation"  that there is free play or slop in the steering, then perhaps the hydraulics still have a bit of air in the system and may require further purging.  Your dealer can do that and using a power-purge tool is recommended.

As for the knocking sound only at low speeds, unless it is due to the engine steering movement, most of the time it turns out to be something vibrating on the boat if it goes away at higher speeds. Because sounds are subjective, it would be best to take your dealer tech for a ride with you.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Yes, your description of "slop" sounds right.

After another day on the boat I've decided the its not so much a knocking noise but rather vibration which is at its worst at 900rpm. This is definately coming from the engine - placing a hand on top to confirm.

My hope is when we remove the "slop" the ocilating engine vibration will stop.

Thank you.

Admiral

On some boats there is a small range of rpm that feels like vibrations. It is the narrow band where the engine is transitioning combustion modes. It varies with the prop load and engine operation.  The old carbureted engines had a rougher running mode at similar rpm as the carb was changing from the low speed jets to the high or mid-range jets. In every case it was before an engine got a boat up on plane and most boats are "plowing water" at that speed.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.