Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain

Re: Engine programming

I would have been a little disappointed if I ordered a 250ho and got a 250. The ho is $2-3k more the 250. Hope you didn't pay for an ho. 

Mate

No. I back tracked to the order list. I said HO. He didn’t write it down. No leg to stand on. They set me up with the RX4 22” prop. I am 210 lbs, the wife, and two kiddos. Full 55 g cell. Can’t get 60 in it. Have the top, two talons and a mean trolling motor. Ice chest full. It will jump like hell outta the hole. Screams to 60 then kinda that’s it. My first pb. Sound right?
Mate

YYI. I have owned two ranger bass boats. I fish for whatever is biting. Got tired of only elbow room and the front always blowing with the wind. I have studied bay boats much. The PB is it.
Captain

What rpm are you getting at WOT?

Admiral

It's more than just tuning differences between the 250 and 250 HO models. Reread my earlier post on the motors and Muskie's post.

The 250 HO also delivers its full horsepower at a higher rpm than the standard 250 - 5750 rpm vs.  5500.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Well, just under 5300. I trim and tilt. Not much bow lift. Not trying to be greedy, but if it’s just me out doing my thing, I would expect more. It doesn’t fade off. It just hits 60 like a wall. Pitch should be well within the RPM range for wot. I’ll play with it more to see what I can get. I’m not shy of pulling it 10 hrs to have it hooked up to see if it’s been retarded.
Admiral

Try a 20" pitch RX4 and that should give the rpm a boost. You can also experiment with the engine mounting height as every little bit helps when looking for some more speed.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Captain

Muskie, thanks for the details, I must have missed the port timing difference in the 3.4L's, in the training.
I expect that it will be quite a few years before I have any need to get inside a G2 engine.