Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain

Etec3 year service prices

I gotta just say that difference in prices from one Authorized Dealer to the next is totally ridiculous! I have contacted at least 6 Dealers in New Jersey and I've gotten prices from $650 to $1000 for service on my 75 hp Etec including the fact that each one tells you something different as far as what gets serviced. You would think that BRP would set guidelines for what gets done from a-z period!! I'm going to be paying $900-$1000 and for this I have to wonder if everything that needs to be done is done and if I'm really covered under the warranty if it's not! No warm and fuzzy feeling!
Captain

Re: Etec3 year service prices

The list of things to be done at 3 years/300 hours is in the service manual. I'd have each dealer quote that exact list and if they are doing more, detail out those extras. This should give you a better comparison. $90/hr of labor vs $110/hr shouldn't cause this much swing as it shouldn't be a 5 hour job (which is still only a $100 flux).
2017 Tidewater 1910 Baymax
Evinrude 150HO (M: E150HGXABH S/N: 05500627H MFDate: 6/17)
Admiral

As was mentioned, get a detailed list of what the dealer performs at the required service interval. Often if it is a low hour motor but 3 years old, some items may not need replacing such as anodes, sparkplugs (maybe), etc.

If you are in saltwater then the price goes up, no question about it plus you need service sooner due to the corrosiveness of seawater.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

First let me say I got a call back first thing this am, less than 24 hours my work is completed at $886.00 which included the labor for the Pressure Relief Valve which BRP covered what ever parts. I pick up in the morning on Thursday where I'll get a copy of the invoice. I'll be sure to compare to manual and post what's required by BRP and what was actually done as well as hourly rate and time spent. Should be interesting to say the least.
Captain

Here it is in a nut she'll. The Pressure Relief Valve was covered under warranty $64.28 for parts.
The 3 year service consisted of:
32 oz gear oil lower unit 0778755. $16.99
Mini water separator filter Mar-min-up-tr $12.25
3 spark plugs CHA9005 $51.03
Fuel filter kit 5007335. $9.49
Kit AY, water pump 5001595. $74.99
Thermostat AY 5005440. $26.99
O-ring 0331188. $4.99
Gasket therm. 0339044. $3.49
Washer 0311598. $1.98
Cover therm. 0338632. $10.99
Filter 0354190. $6.99
O-ring 0354759. $1.99
Total $222.17
I told them I had done my anodes, fuel filter and water separator 3 weeks ago!!!!! They did fuel and water filter anyway.

E3YR/300 HRS-5 hours @. $115.00 total $575.00
In labor. Total parts& labor on a less than 3 year old Etec with 45 hours. $882.70

Hey High_c 5 hours labor!!!!! You said it shouldn't take that long but they charge for it!!!!

Thank God I'll be out of warranty in July 2020!!!!
I really really don't believe I'll ever return to Riptide Marine Center in Bayville NJ ever again!!
I got a receipt for parts and labor but no diagnostic report on the hours and codes which they said there was none.

Like I said yesterday, I'll be wondering what was done or not done for sometime!!

There's my report on my 3 year service experience with my money saving Evinrude Etec!!!

Admiral

[ Edited ]

Perhaps you can ask them to send you a printout or a .pdf of your engine report for your records.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

I sent a request for the report so I have it for my records .
Captain

I was hoping for Hi_c to respond on this.
Captain

Not sure what you want me to say. Did you inquire about the number of labor hours up front? I would have. Changing the water pump is probably the most time consuming of that list and even a shade-tree mechanic with access to YouTube can do it in an hour (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_YDYzRMpQM).

There is value in having a certified mechanic do the work... if you trust them. I think 5 hours is a rip off. 3 hours max or i would've gone elsewhere.
2017 Tidewater 1910 Baymax
Evinrude 150HO (M: E150HGXABH S/N: 05500627H MFDate: 6/17)
Captain

I went to the best Evinrude dealer in my area. I just wanted your opinion on the fact that they did charge 5 hours, nothing more. Well it doesn't matter much, I'll be doing most of this myself next time and I have a friend who owns a Merc dealership and they said water pump and plugs $200 out the door. Looking forward to repower to Merc in the future. A lot less trouble!