Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Help With 200HO Running Hot

2010 200HO - 2000 Aquasport Explorer 225

Engine has approximately 1400 hours - Salt water use

E200HCXISM - but lower unit was replaced last year and is now standard rotation

All 300 hour services done by me, mostly every two years

Typical cruise - 4600rpm, 11.9 gph, 24kt

Spring 2016 - New tstats, water pump, filters, zincs, gear lube, all "normal" stuff.

Boat ran fine being used on average 4 days a week from mid March - July

Mid July - Midshore tuna trip, 60 miles each way, no issues running hard and trolling all day.  After 12 hours of running, as we enter the creek for the last 1 mile of the day, "hot" alarm comes on.  Throttle back, wait a minute, goes out, throttle up, a minute later, happens again, repeat 3 times till we get to the dock.

Take the boat out the next day, run at cruise for about 3 minutes, same thing.  Diag shows port running hot at 185 degrees, and stb running at 174.

Engine pissing strong, guessing at cause, I install NEW blowoff valve and tstats.  No change, error still occurs. Others tell me it's water pump, even though it's pissing good, I replace it out of desperation, problem goes away.

Mid November, lower unit goes bad, and is replaced with a standard rotation unit, new pump installed.

Boat runs fine till early January, then is put away for 2 months, relaunched in March, with new tstats, tstat covers, and normal stuff.  Boat runs fine, fishing 40 days in March/April, then in mid May, same exact "running hot" problem.

EMM diag never shows and over heat, and engine never entered SAFE mode.

Changed water pump "just because," pump that came out looked fine, and problem went away.  Ran boat several days a week all of  May, June, July.

3 days ago, offshore tuna trip 55 miles each way, boat runs like a champ, 2 miles from home, same exact "running hot" probllem again.

This never occurred in the first 5 years and roughly 1,000 hours of use.

Pulling the boat on Monday, and changing the pump again, but I can't be burning through a pump every 3 months.

EMM Diag reads "running hot" event, so it's not a bad gauge.

If I run till the alarm goes off, pull back, pull the cover off, and try to shoot a temp off each head, they've both already cooled off.

If I run with the cover off, it doesn't get hot enough to trip the alarm.

If it were a bad EMM, bad sensor, or clog, you'd think changing the pump would mean nothing, but it makes the problem go away, for a few months.

Thoughts?

And many thanks in advance for anyone who read all that and tries to help.

-JZ

Admiral

Re: Help With 200HO Running Hot

This is a single engine boat I assume?

What alarm and indication are you getting? Do you have a SystemCheck gauge or tach with the 4 lights, and if so, what exactly happens?

You say it does not go into SAFE mode. 1200 rpm, is that correct?

Can you post the EMM report so we can see the engine data, the temp charts, and the service codes section?

Has any one checked the water pressure readings at all rpms and compare them with the published data? Has the water been checked for being aerated which could cause intermittent problems? Techs are taught how in training classes.

Have any new fittings, transducers, etc. been installed through the hull or on the transom within 17" of the centerline? Was it an SEI brand of gearcase or a genuine Evinrude M2 that was installed?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Single engine.

Old, 4 light gauge, no I-Command.

Run for hours at cruise, no problem for months, then alarm comes on at cruise, throttle back to 2,000, light goes out in a minute.  Once it happens, boat can only run for a couple of minutes at cruise 4600rpm before alarm comes on again.  This occurs whether it's the same day, or days later, after a cool down and flush.

Boat does not go into SAFE mode, throws a "_____ head over expected temp" error in diags, and is throttled back by me.

At work now, but will post the report from May when I get home.  Cannot find my cable to pull a new Diag, but one is ordered and will be here in a few days.

Have not checked water pressure at all rpms, but my water pressure gauge seems to be reading like it always has.

The problem is very consistent once it occurs.  Doesn't happen for months, and then happens a couple of minutes into cruise speed every single time, every single day, once it does occur. Very consistently repeatable error, once it happens, seemingly out of nowhere.

Original counter rotating M2 when error first occured.  Now a standard rotation M2, with error occurring twice (May and July) on new gearcase.

New tranducer was installed last June, before error every occurred, and was originally suspected, but boat runs fine for months at a clip, and once the error occurs one, it repeats consistently.

I was under the impression that SEI did not make gearcases for the HO engines? But that's another matter.

Skipper

Installed a new water pump yesterday.  On the muffs, it pumps/runs/sounds fine.

Here is a diag from today.  Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Skipper

Put the boat back in today.

Gave it 2 decent runs of about 15 minutes each, with all seeming well.

If the pattern holds, everything will be fine for 2-3 months, and then the issue will mysteriously return.

So I guess we'll see.................

Admiral

there are a couple of recent codes about the motor not warming up to the correct operating temperature. That could possibly be by sticking or debris clogged thermostats or a problem with the pressure relief valve allowing water past the valve and seal.

That may or may not have bearing on your situation, but it could be a clue to your intermittent problems.

If you see the HOT light on but the motor does not go into SAFE mode, it is warning the boat operator that the engine temperature is close to the alarm mode and to take action to prevent overheating.  It was designed for bass boats where the driver may run the powered jackplate too high and aerated water was ingested causing the motor temperature to rise.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.