Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Hot water from Tell Tale Discharge on 2017 G1 ETEC 150

Hi All,
I have a 2017 Generation 1 Etec 150 on a 226 old Grady ..... has been awesome so far , very strong!

2 weeks ago, on a really low tide, I sucked some mud and moss into the intakes right next to ramp. Alarm sounded, I turned off motor and a.m. was able to drift to trailer and load it. Once out of the water, there was moss clogging the intakes. I pulled this out. At the house, I first flushed with the flushing port. Then cranked it on the muffs with the front accessory intakes taped per Evinrude recommendations. There was a normal telltale stream, but it was almost hot to the touch, but no alarms went off.
Today, I ran it to 3800 rpms in a river and it ran perfectly with no alarms, but telltale water still quite hot.
I double checked the ports at home with a light and they are clear. I flushed again with the port and water drained out all the intake holes and out the hub.
I asked the dealer and they said it was probably ok since there are no more alarms.
I have a 90 etec on a flats boat and it’s telltale water is cool.
I think they are plumbed differently from what I’ve read here.
IS THE HOT WATER FROM TELLTALE NORMAL??? It makes me nervous!

Pleas advise!

Admiral

Re: Hot water from Tell Tale Discharge on 2017 G1 ETEC 150

[ Edited ]

If your alarms do not activate, then the motor is not overheating. The outlet water on your style engine will feel warm at times as it comes off the top of the engine block and is then used in cooling the EMM and fuel pump cannister before exiting the motor.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

I have a 2017 150 G1 HO on a 98 208 Grady ,what prop were you given I'm running Rebel 15.75x 15  sweet spot is between 3500 and 4000 no trim tabs until next year , 5200 -maybe 5300 is best I've gotten at full trottle which is not often , dealer setup we had discussed this he told me he tested it and felt this was the best performance overall . I might consider changing it if I can find someone who has simuliar boat with better results  . Thanks 

Skipper

Thanks Bluewater Bill,
Do you have and idea of what the accaepatable range for water temp coming from the tell tale might be?

Steveditt,
My G1 150 is not the HO. I have it on a 1983 Grady 226. When often dive with 4 adults, 6 tanks and other gear. It does great! Very responsive out of the hole and at mid range , following seas etc.
I never push it over 5000, but the dealer set up the prop. For my needs it’s perfect, I have no red to go super fast and get beat up.
I’ll check the prop size for you ....
People look at that hp motor funny on that boat, but I love it.!

Also, would you mind running your 150 on the muffs, (tape over the front intake holes) and hand checking the water from the telltale after 5-8 minutes, or checking next time u are on the water. Let me know if it’s almost hot tonthe touch. I would really appreciate it.
Skipper

I used to have a g1 and the water always was just a little warm. Now my new g2 has a total different cooling system and is way hotter than the G1. When I put the muffs on the g1 and let it idle the water was just luke warm.

Skipper

I have a 90hp and it’s pee is Luke warm.....
The 150s pee is much warmer... almost hot.
What size was your G1?
Captain

If I recall correctly the discharge water on the I-3 is EMM and VST cooling water only. Other engines blend engine cooling water with EMM/VST water.
Skipper

That makes since.
Skipper

200ho.

Skipper

Speckman,
As i understand it, the big blocks, like the 200 HO, have the tell tale water originate from just after the impeller.... thus it has no cooling responsibility and doesn’t get warm. On the small block V6s, the telltale water has run through the top of the block and through the EMM and VST..... absorbing heat from all 3.
I think I have this correct from reading the great info here and at etec owners.
I really appreciate all the input.