Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Mate

My first e-etc a costly mistake

I bought my 2007 evinrude with240 hours on it about 1.5 years ago and had it checked out by a certified evinrude person. Everything was fine until a month ago and with only putting twenty hours on it the motor would not run.  I brought it to a certified e-tec mechanic who told me that there was an injector leak which needed to be fixed but after getting into the injector found the wires had shorted and had damaged the computer.  I am now looking at a 2900 dollar repair bill.  The mechanic stated that in all the years of working on outboards he had never seen a wire sort through the injector and wipe out the computer like this one.  After reading the problems with the 2007 injectors it looks like I got one of the bad ones.  With the known problems of the evinrude 2007 e-tec injectors it would seem reasonable and good business practice for evinrude to recall these malfunctioning motors.  I would appreciate it if evinrude would step up to help to solve my problem.

Admiral

Re: My first e-etc a costly mistake

If you really feel that your 11-year-old 2nd-hand used motor should be covered, please contact Evinrude After Sales at  http://www.brp.com/en/forms/contact-us.html

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

I feel that if Evinrude knew there was a problem with the injectors they should have recalled them back when they became aware of the problem. Are you saying that an 11 year old motor with 260 hours on it should  have a major failure just because of the age??

Admiral

The thing is, there was not a problem with 2007 injectors.  What you read on the internet is not always accurate and is very one-sided as only the information given out is only what the author wants to share to advance his or her point. 

Do injectors fail, occasionally it happens, but not often. That is what warranties take care of. Most that were returned to warranty for inspection revealed internal rust issues due to water in the fuel, varnish deposits from stale gasoline, debris, or the corrosive effects of phase-separated E-10 gasoline.

If an injector shorts out, it stores a service code inside the EMM telling which one it is, when it happened, and how many times.  The code numbers range from 61 to 66 with the last number indicating the injector and cylinder location. The EMM is not necessarily damaged due to a shorted injector. That is probably why your technician had never experienced the situation either.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.