Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Need advice about replacing a Etec 200HO EMM?

[ Edited ]

When replacing an 2006 Etec 200HO EMM does the old unit need to be sent back to the factory or can the old and new unit data/parameters be transfered at the service center?  Thanks

Engine Model No.  E200DHXSDS  Serial No. 05120709

Admiral

Re: Need advice about replacing a Etec 200HO EMM?

[ Edited ]

A knowledgeable dealer can transfer your old EMM data into the new blank EMM that he receives from the factory as the replacement. 

In very rare cases where the EMM data and history cannot be downloaded to a laptop, then the old EMM may have to be sent to the factory for recovery.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Does the factory charge for the reload?  I don't have a problem paying for the reload, its just a curiosity.

Admiral

There is no separate charge from the factory for doing the data transfer but you may have to pay for the shipping if it is not a warranty situation.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Thank you very much!  

My mechanic is awesome.  He worked at a OMC/BRP dealership for 25+ years before the dealership closed and then moved to a small shop which sells only Yamaha products. He told me only the factory could perform the data swap so I think his diagnostic software needs updating or it's does not have the key code necessary to perform the EMM data switch.  My original question was more about time to get the boat back than about cost. He's always very fair in his pricing so after I get the boat back I may buy him the latest software with all the features needed to perform the EMM swap in house.

I have to say I love my ETEC 200HO. I've had it for 11 years and besides general annual maintenance I have never had a single problem until I hit a sand bar that had shifted in an inlet that was no longer being maintained by the US Army Corp. The sand was loose and drawn into the engine which packed the fuel pump tight and then caused an over heating of the EMM.  Hence, user error and this user hates not havig his boat!

Thanks again for your help.

Admiral

A single instance of an overheated EMM is not normally a fatal problem if the motor was shut down and allowed to cool after the HOT alarm sounded.  Is there more to the story?

Skipper

I asked the mechanic how many times the EMM overheated and said 10.  About five years ago I was slow trolling and the exhaust vapor turned white and then it stalled.  There was no sound or visual alarm and I was able to restart it.  It happened several times as I motored back to my marina. I brought it to the shop and they ran diagnostics and inspected the motor while running and said it was probably water in the fuel. He drained and changed the water separator and fuel filter. It ran fine afterward, but he said the hot led alarm could not be cleared by him and it had to be sent back to the factory for $1200.00. He said the audible alarm was still functional so if it did overheat I would alerted so I elected not to spend the $1200.00. Until the sand impaction very recently I had no further problems with alarms or overheating.

The cost to diagnose, clean all the sand out, replace the EMM and TPS is going to run about $1800 so the gamble only hurts a little bit.  The new EMM should clear the LED alarm and bring it back to factory spec. I was luck not to have mechanical problems too.

That's the rest of the story. (As Paul Harvey would say!)  

Admiral

[ Edited ]

GregD wrote:

it ran fine afterward, but he said the hot led alarm could not be cleared by him and it had to be sent back to the factory for $1200.00. 

The new EMM should clear the LED alarm and bring it back to factory spec. 

That's the rest of the story.

No, now it sounds like the beginning of the story.

Nowhere previously did you mention anything about an LED alarm before.

See an authorized dealer with E-TEC trained technicians. They can troubleshoot the situation and advise you. Also only an authorized dealer has access to ordering and setting up a replacement EMM.

Skipper

[ Edited ]

Thanks for your thoughts and advice!

Have a great Sunday.