Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

Oil consumption

I have a 2015 G2 250 HO on a 26 ft offshore fishing boat, ~5500 lbs fully loaded. I love this motor its been great, It has 165 hrs and 1540 NM on the odometer. I run it at an average speed of 24 kts ~ 30% throttle and get close to 3 mpg. I've used 11 gallons of xd-100 oil.
Is this correct? Seems like more oil than I expected it would need. ~ a gallon every 15 hrs. On top of CA fuel at almost $4 a gal I'm spending another $40 a day on oil. Seriously thinking about purchasing a 55 gal drum of xd 100.
Captain

Re: Oil consumption

That sound like your engine is using too much oil. Since oil injection is based on engine speed and load most time excess oil use is due to a high load from the engine being mounted too low or over propped.
What is your wide open rpm?
Also it would be useful to calculate the ratio of fuel and oil use. I would expect it should be better than 70:1
Mate

Its mounted correct, and propped correctly, WOT is ~5700 rpm with a top speed of 45 kts. I monitor the engine load and when I'm crusing and its not excessive, 90% of the time I'm running 3500 to 4000 rpm less than 30% throttle. This motor seem to effortlessly push my boat, prior boat same make but 5 ft smaller 21" with a honda 225 didn't perform as well in any category! And it used two gallons of oil every 100 hrs + a filter (engine oil change)
So 70:1, I'll fill the oil tank an check the fuel burn and get an exact ratio. Not exact numbers but recently burned about 70 to 80 gal of fuel and went through roughly 2.5 gal of xd-100 oil.
Captain

You probably need to have your dealer check engine data with the diagnostic program while running. 2.5 to 75 is a 30:1 ratio. Each engine and hull combination performs differently but usually at 3500-4000 RPM a boat is not fully up on plane and at it's heaviest load on the engine. The G2 has an excellent torque curve so it is hard to sense engine load by feel.
Mate

Thx for the advice, at 3500 rpm I'm on plane and giong ~ 24 kts. I can see the torque load on the Garmin dont recall the #s but it didn't seem high. I'll get these details. Is it possible that the oil setting isnt correct? What's the ratio for the xd-50?
Captain

The G2 engines do not have an oil setting. They can be run on either XD-50 semi synthetic or XD-100 full synthetic oil.
Captain

The G2 engines do not have an oil setting. They can be run on either XD-50 semi synthetic or XD-100 full synthetic oil. Perhaps Bill can give some more insight on your oil consumption.
Admiral

If your oil consumption was 30:1 as figured in a previous post, you would have no mosquitos around as they would all be dead from the clouds of blue oily smoke coming out of your engines.

Most of the the time, measuring errors in both fuel and oil are to blame for excessive perceived oil usage.

Start with a topped off tank of oil and a full tank of fuel and go run the boat, keeping tabs on any fuel added to the tank until the oil level becomes very low.  Fill the boat tank and add the gallons pumped since the test began. Measure the oil added carefully, some go one quart at a time until the oil tank if full again. Then do the math.

Because the oil delivery system is computer controlled and extra oil is added during starting and heavy acceleration and at rpm at or above redline, and throttle heavy boat operator will consume more than smooth throttle application.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.