Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper

One Year Old 90HO In the Shop

My second time out this year about half way through the day of fishing my one year old 90HO left me stranded in the middle of the lake. We were going about 25-30 mph when it lost power. I pulled it back to neutral and then heard a ticking sound in the motor. I shut it off, and it hasn’t started since. I dropped it off yesterday at the shop who told me it will be about two weeks before they can even look at it. Needless to say I am just sick. Severely dissapointed that this happened with my almost brand new motor- I only have about 23 hours on it!
Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this sort of thing or if anyone has any ideas of what went wrong with it?
Admiral

Re: One Year Old 90HO In the Shop

From your description it is almost impossible to guess what might be the reason for your outboard not starting. Most dealers give priority to their customer's warranty problems if they sold them the motor. You may want to initiate a discussion with the dealer ownership to see if there are any misunderstandings or other reasons why you have to wait so long for service on a newer engine.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Due to the holiday and their “normal” business hours I was finally able to get a hold of them today. They’re going to get it in in the next day or two. The wait continues....
Captain

Sucks when it happens right at the start of summer. I feel for you and hope they find something simple and quick.
2017 Tidewater 1910 Baymax
Evinrude 150HO (M: E150HGXABH S/N: 05500627H MFDate: 6/17)
Skipper

So the dealer called me today and told me that the engine started right up ?? When he hooked it up to the computer it apparently showed that it was attempted to have been put in the winterization mode four times within the last hour of use!! I told him thats not possible because I’m the only operator of my boat and I haven’t touched the winterization throttle lever since I winterized it last year. So at this point he’s chaulking it up that it somehow went into the winterization mode four times and thats what caused this problem. I guess its good news that its not something more serious, but why would it do this?

He said he’s going to “clear the codes out” and if it happens again, then we know theres something else going on. I’m just not very confident in this motor right now that it could randomly do this and leave me stranded.

Any ideas?
Admiral

If the stored service code was  #11, then the throttle was part way open when the engine was started. If you did not advance the throttle lever, then possibly the cable is slightly out of adjustment or the throttle linkage on the motor is sticky or hitting something to keep it from returning to idle.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Thanks Bill-

I’ll pass this info on to my dealer.
Skipper

Just wanted to followup with the final diagnosis in case someone else has a similar issue.  All my worries that my motor had blown were for not.  The propblem was apparently as simple as my battery cable was loose.  I feel silly that thats all it was but apparently a loose battery cable can really screw things up and I'm glad it wasn't something much worse-which I had feared.   The mechanic said that the loose cable was also most likely the culprit last fall when I had issues trying to do the self-winterizing procedure.  I've had it out twice now since I got it back and am happy to report that its running stong!

Captain

Thanks for circling back here. That's important for other readers to see the solution was simple.
2017 Tidewater 1910 Baymax
Evinrude 150HO (M: E150HGXABH S/N: 05500627H MFDate: 6/17)
Skipper

I spoke to soon. Im disgusted and now questioning my decision to by this motor. It left me stranded again today! Same exact problem! Lost rpm’s at about half throttle, spit, sputter, dead. Would not restart. Boat is back at shop and I’m sick that this brand new motor seems to be nothing more than a $10,000 anchor!