Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Price difference & performance 200-225 hp G1 vs G2

On a repower, is the cost difference btween the G1 & G2 with rigging approx $4000?  So to repower for a G2 in this range would be approx $19-$20k?   Seems like it may be worth it if the motor gets 20% better fuel economy long term, plus added torque, and self-contained steering.  Anyone repower with a similar sized G2?  5 yrs no maintenance seems unreal.  I assume all the benefits of the G1 carried over as well like the 130+ amp alternator and all. There is avideo where the G2 blows away a G1 and gets more like 50% better economy but that seems hard to believe.

Sinc,Jeff

Highlighted
Captain

Re: Price difference & performance 200-225 hp G1 vs G2

[ Edited ]

I went from a 2012 G1 200 HO ~ 220HP  to a program year 2016 G2 225 HO  ~ 250HP.

The torque through the powerband is phenominal and I really like the DPS (power steering) and trim assist.

There was nothing wrong with the 200HO I plain just wanted a G2. I have never quantified it but the amount of fuel I use has definatly decreased. There is a guy on my lake with a G2 300 on a Ranger 22ft  bass boat who claims his fuel consumption is down 40%.

The G2 has an implicit setback which in my case changed the dynamiics of the boat for the better. You have to make sure the engine height on the transom has been adjucted to take that into consideration.

Below is a video of a hole shot I did last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trNOhcI-344

If you get one make you the model number is at least AG. Specify that in the contract. There were bugs still be worked out in previous models.

Skipper

Wow!  I have a new transom with 1.5 coosa board - with 6 layers of 1708 Biax, strong as anything.  Do you think the $4000 extra for the G-2 is worth the $$?  Not sure if I have a real need for the holeshot, but the massive torque would be great when the kids want to be pulled in water toys. Mileage and dependability are most important to me, especially trolling between 5-15 knots.

Captain

[ Edited ]

It really comes down to what you value wrt what the $4000.00 gets you.

My wife didn't like driving the G1 because of thesteering torque and she didn't like messing with trim. I looked at an after market power steering setup, but it was a dogs breakfast as far as I was concerned and the cost with installation was $4000.00. She really likes the power steering in the G2, and the auto trim means she can ignore that aspect of driving. I like the ease of the DPS also.

The torque curve of the G2 is stronger and broader than the G1, but as far as pulling toys with the kids etc, the G1 easilly meets that task. The G2 is fully digital controls, so the throttle and shifter is "by wire."

I think the new design g2 will be more reliable because they have upped the base warranty and maintenance window, and improved on the reliability design from the G1..

Fuel usage and emissions are better than the G1, however the G1 is no slouch there either, beating most 4-strokes.

Down the road I believe that the G2 will hold it's value better just because the G2 will be more desirable to most.

Although the flexable colors design of the engine is not a mechanical or dependanbilty concern, it does add value to your rig.

$4000.00 over over a 10 year period is $400.00 a year.

I doubt you would be disappointed with either.

Skipper

Thanks ! 

The biggest complaints of the 4 stroke's from people at the ramps is that even with max rated power  on the transom- they top end well but no balls until past 3500 rpm's comparred to 2 stroke DFI's.  Optimax is way too noisy for my taste and seems like almost no change since the late 1990's..

Admiral

Most customers when they upgrade to an Evinrude E-TEC G2 engine, they get spoiled instantly with the power assisted steering and the trim assist feature.  It is similar to upgrading from an a basic car with roll-up windows, manual transmission, etc. to a deluxe model with all the power features, comfort and convenience, and more relaxing driving experiences.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                                                 -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.