Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Mate

Should I buy another ETEC?

I am in need of a new boat combo. I've ran Etec's the last 13 years. I love them and hate them.  I love the low maintenance and power and weight.  But myself and everyone I know with ETECS have chronic cover cracking issues.  I spent $2500.00 replacing covers every 10 years.  So, that equates to $250 per year just for plastic covers. Evenrude or extended warranties don't cover it. They say it's 'cosmetic."  Even whtn the lower covers fall off.  Why doesn't  Evenrude address this? Is there anything a person can do to keep the covers intact?

My merc covers never crack.

Captain

Re: Should I buy another ETEC?

As a dealer tech I haven't seen any covers cracking since the 08 model year so you should have no problems with the newer ones as long as the cover screws are tightened properly whenever they are removed and installed.
Admiral

Re: Should I buy another ETEC?

[ Edited ]

The cover screws have a torque spec of 24-36 inch-pounds and the covers have to be fully positioned and seated into place before torquing them. 

A new lower cover for a 2005 E-TEC 90 is about $476.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.