Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Re: Trying to identify my 70hp evinrude.

20161204_145753.jpg

Admiral

Looks like a 1995 model.

The primer valve is open, it should be closed - turn clockwise until it stops.

Replace missing primer valve cap, it is not from a tire but a special gasoline resistant type - see your dealer.

Hard to tell but it looks like the throttle lever cam roller is broken.

It looks like someone adapted a Suzuki fuel filter on the motor.

Have a trained Evinrude tech check over the motor for you and inspect the VRO system and check for missing or damaged hoses, filters, clamps and flush out the oil tank in case of sludge or slime at the bottom.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                                                 -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Skipper

Ok thank you bill! My main goal is to obtain a water pump with housing to complete the sale of the motor. Would the Sierra 18-3389 do it? 

Admiral

I would recommend the original factory water pump kit.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Skipper

Would you happen to know the shift shaft height for this motor?   Thanks, Craig. 

Admiral

Buckhunter33 wrote:

Would you happen to know the shift shaft height for this motor?   Thanks, Craig. 

3 Cyl. 1978-UP 21-23/32"

Mate

Found this number on freeze plug G2302637 it's around a 93 Johnson could you help me find exact year
Admiral

Shannon-2 wrote:
Found this number on freeze plug G2302637 it's around a 93 Johnson could you help me find exact year

Can you post pictures of the motor cover sides and back if it still has the original decals on it?