Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

steam coming out of engine

hello all,

in need of some help. this is my first outboard engine and i am not very familiar with how they should run. i have a brand new etec 115hp on the back of a brand new frontier 180.   i have been noticing steam coming from the engine while under power.  i took it back to the dealer, they ran it- didnt see the steam(of course they ran it at the ramp at the shop-still attached to the trailer------no sea trial) they hooked a computer up to it and showed no error codes.  the hot engine alarm and light came on twice now and shut engine down. any ideas?

thanks in advance

Mercades

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: steam coming out of engine

Hi,

Steam is normal coming out of the engine at times because of water being used to cool and silence the hot exhaust gases. It is most noticeable and a normal occurrence when slowing down after running at higher speeds. What is not normal is your experience with the engine overheating and alerting you with an alarm and a TEMP indicator light. 

If you are sure it was the overheating light, HOT or TEMP on the gauge, then there should be an error code in the engine's computer memory. Have your dealer check out the water pump and its fit along with other cooling related items such as the thermostats, EMM - VST  cooling lines, and the pressure relief valve.  A check of the running water pressures may be required.  Your dealer may also contact Evinrude's dealer support group for assistance with hard to find problems with an engine if needed.

If you cannot get satisfaction, please include the engine serial number and email  brp.care@brp.com .

We hope you remain a loyal Evinrude customer and please do not hesitate to contact us again if you have additional questions.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.