Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Captain
Accepted Solution

tach is not working g

Hi, I repowered this spring. I removed a 2000 115 johnson, In its place I put on a 2008 150 etec. I installed a new oil tank to avoid contamination issues. I purged the oil system, and ran through the winterizing procedure a few times to be sure I have all the air out. The motor is running g very nicely. However the tach is not registering. Is there something I should change in the wiring going from the 115 to 150

Thanks,
Admiral

Re: tach is not working g

[ Edited ]

The 2000 wiring harness and tach are compatible with your new E-TEC. Did you install a new harness or re-use the old one?  Either the tach failed or there is a connection problem causing an open circuit.

It sounds like you rigged the motor yourself. Did the dealer at least check it over and fill out the required pre-delivery checklist that you both have to sign before the engine is registered with the factory for warranty coverage?

For your information, here is a link to an installation and pre-delivery guide that you may like to have for reference.

http://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/OperatorsGuidesAttachments/OwnersManuals_EJ/attach/Accessories/50...

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                                                 -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Captain

Thanks for your response.

I did rig the motor with help from a marine mechanic. I reused the wiring harness from the 115. All the system checks are working, the volt meter is working. It could be a connection issue. HHowever it was working a month ago when I ran the 115 for the new owner.

Is there a separate wire from the motor or is it interconnected with the volt meter?

With the motor being 8 year old I assumed the motor is not covered under any factory warranty.
Admiral

The generated tachometer signal is the gray wire that comes out of the EMM and goes to the 8-pin connector at the tach.  Your tech can check the continuity of the wire and if there is the proper frequency signal coming from the EMM using the Evinrude diagnsotic software.

The quickest test for the tach is to plug the 8-pin connector into a known good tach and monitor the results.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Captain

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the info on the wires. I did a continuity check on the harness, the harness is good. My next step is to find another tach and test it. I'm leaning toward the tach being defective. It won't be long and I'll have it working.

I used the checklist you provided. Looks like I did it correctly.
I intend to stop by a service shop so they can check it out, and print the operation history for me.

My tach is from 2003 it doesn't have the 8 pin connector. I have the smaller systems guage.

I would call it resolved. Thanks again!
Admiral

If you get a non-SystemCheck tach like your current one, make sure it is set for 6 pole alternator on the back, not 5 pole.

Obtaining a SystemCheck tach, it has the 4 warning lites in it, would be your best choice and you would have a free'd up hole for another gauge.

Captain

I hooked up a tach, volt, and amp meter. (From my early mechanic days) I have voltage to the tach. And my portable unit registered rpms when I started the motor. I am researching a new tach, there are several available. I looked at the one with the system check on it. Would it create more problems? because my gray pulse line, black ground, and purple power are on threaded posts. If the connections would be the same it would be easy. The cost is about the same.
Admiral

[ Edited ]

A SystemCheck tach, which has the 4 warning lights built in, only needs the 8-pin connector (from your 2" gauge) plugged into it to work. Tape off the 3 wires that you have on the current  tach as they will not be used anymore.

Mate

My evinrude etec 150 hp 2008 stopped on me suddenly. I've never had problems with this engine. Was running on the step and heard a weird noise so I slowed down and it died! Will not start! Left me stranded and have no idea why!
Admiral

Your dealer would be the best choice to have check your motor out to find the problem,  It has to be determined if there is a fuel, electrical, or a mechanical system at fault and what is needed to correct the situation.