Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

1999 Evinrude 150

Ok, I didn't do enough research and ended up buying what is said to me Evinrudes worst engine ever. When I test drove the boat it crank and ran fine. The previous owner said " he had never had any issues". After the 4 the trip. I can pump the bulb and 90% of the time it will fire right up. It seems to rev up and will run at a high idle for about 30 sec. To a min and it will idle down and you can take off and run good. When I start fishing and say fish for about an hour it will not crank. I will turn the key and it will spin over and over and maybe hit, then just spin, then it might hit 3 times and spin over not hitting. Today it done this and spun over for at lest 4 to 5 min before finally hitting and firing up. Again it went to a high idle and then calmed down to normal and I loaded her up. It is an EEA code motor
Admiral

Re: 1999 Evinrude 150

[ Edited ]

The nice thing about this website is that you do not have to post multiple questions.

The Owners Zone is the best forum for technical inquiries for your outboard.

The high idle on startup is possibly fuel leaking into the intake manifold either from a pinhole in the lift pump diaphragm or a sticky float valve inside the vapor separator tank. (VST)

When the engine cranks over and will not start up and keep running is often a voltage problem, anywhere from a low-capacity battery, a faulty regulator, or a weak stator.  Low or no fuel pressure is also a common cause of hard starting.

The tachometer not reading could be the gauge, the wiring and connections, or a faulty ECU.

You will have to find an experienced technician to troubleshoot your engine to find out why it is not starting easily

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                                                 -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.