Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

2015 250HO G2 steering torque

Got new Z520C ranger with 2015 G2 engine.

Added Atlas 4" jackplate and two talon.

Now when I go over 40, I notice I feel like I have manual Steering to left but not to right steer.

Dealer telling me this is normal.

Is there fix for this?

Captain

Re: 2015 250HO G2 steering torque

I have a 2015 Ranger with 250 HO G2 and have two 10' power poles.  I do have the steering assist set to maximum and she steers with ease.

Ranger Ryan
Captain

And I am running a 4" Atlas Hydraulic plate.

Ranger Ryan
Admiral

XRoK wrote:

Got new Z520C ranger with 2015 G2 engine.

Added Atlas 4" jackplate and two talon.

Now when I go over 40, I notice I feel like I have manual Steering to left but not to right steer.

Dealer telling me this is normal.

Is there fix for this?

Does your engine have the digital steering assist unit on it or do you have the manual version?  If you have the manual version, you are feeling the "P factor" which is also known as the propeller torque reaction. It will vary with the amount of trim on the motor and the type of propeller. An RX-4 prop has less torque reaction than a 3-blade Raker HO model.

What is the whole model number of your motor?

This link is an Evinrude performance report of your type of rig.

http://www.evinrude.com/Content/Pdf/neutral/performanceReports/1169_G2_250HO_RangerZ520c_Bass.pdf

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                                                 -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Skipper

VID# 05420923

When I, running 65 mph (GPS) with jackplate on mid way it was almost impossiable to steer to left.

Skipper

E250LHOABA IS MODEL NUMBER

Admiral

[ Edited ]

It is my understanding that if there is air anywhere in the steering system or in the engine's system, either regular hydraulic or power-assisted, that greatly increased effort would be required at the steering wheel.

Your G2 steering requires a special tool to hold the motor plus it is recommended to use the SeaStar power bleeder system to purge the steering system and the motor has to be at the correct angle. If done manually, bleeding is more difficult and extra care has to be taken, along with possibly performing it multiple times.

Find a dealer with the power bleeding system to redo your steering and when done correctly, your stiff steering should be history. They can also check to be sure your boat has the correct helm installed.

If your dealer has any problems, they should contact their Evinrude dealer support team for assistance.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Skipper

I am bring in to dealer monday.

Thank you for your quick response.

Skipper

[ Edited ]

Dealer take boat to water and told me it is normal.

I took the boat and ran today and I am still convinced that steering is way too hard to turn (left) when you are running 65 + mph.

and I am guessing my motor came without digital power steering assist since I dont have that option on my display.

Can I add digital Power Steering to my current motor?

btw, I am running on 4 blade prop.

Highlighted
Admiral

XRoK wrote:

and I am guessing my motor came without digital power steering assist since I dont have that option on my display.

Can I add digital Power Steering to my current motor?

Yes, in theory. See your dealer who can contact the Dealer Support Team to see what can be done for you.