Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

2017 90HO Problems?

Hello, I'm new here and looking for guidence.  I have a brand new 2017 Alumacraft Voyageur 175 with a 2017 Etec 90 HO.  This is the first boat I've ever owned.  I've had it out probably 15-20 times since early April.  In my last 3-4 outings I've noticed a few thing with the motor that don't seem right....

1.  After running on plane and decelerating to just above idle I hear a rattling sound.  The sound has seemed to have increased since the first time I heard it maybe 4 outings ago.  The rattle sound goes away if I increase speed, but If I slow down to just above idle again, it comes back.  It also rattles in reverse.  The sound goes away if I put it in neutral.  

2.  Also after runnning on plane and then decelerating, I notice what looks like white smoke coming from the engine.  Some have suggested that it's steam?  Would it still steam when its 80+ degrees out?

3.  I was out last night running WOT back to the ramp.  All of a sudden the motor decelerated on it's own to about 5000 rpms and would not come back up all the way back to the dock.   This has happened a couple other times that I've noticed.  (My normal WOT is about 6000 rpm...according to what my dash tach says).

Can anyone help me address these issues....if they are issues?

Thanks,

Mike

Admiral

Re: 2017 90HO Problems?

It is hard to determine a noise over the internet. It may be best to have a trained professional make the determination, but you might be able to eliminate some causes.

Check the prop nut and its hardware for being correct and the nut torqued to specs. Make sure the prop is not loose or wobbly. There is normal in and out free play on the propshaft. Be sure you are not hearing something loose in the boat. Also check the gearcase oil to see if there are metal flakes or chips. Fine fuzz on the drain screw magnet is normal.

Steam is white or gray colored, normal, and more noticeable when slowing down as the exhaust chamber is very hot and water is injected to help cool and silence the gases. 

There are no year designations for outboards. The model number is what distinguishes which engine you have. See your dealer as there may be software updates that improve drivability.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                                                 -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Mate

Thanks for your input Bill. I may have found the rattle. The steering arm to the motor has some play in it that I don't recall being there when I first got the boat. When I manipulate it it with my hand it does make a knocking/rattle noise, although I can't be 100% certain this is the culprit until I get it back on the water. My fingers are crossed that it is though.

As far as the deceleration issue, I'll take your advice and let the dealer diagnose that.

I'll chaulk up the "white smoke" as steam. It just seem odd to me.
Admiral

[ Edited ]

Glad that you found something loose. Is it the rod that goes through the pivot point of the motoer when it tilts up? If so, the take-up nut is loose or spacers are missing.

Steam is normal and white or grayish.  Heavy blue or black smoke means trouble

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Mate

Yes, it's that rod you described. I'm going to tighten it up.

It's definitely white smoke/mist. It doesn't have a smell to it, which is good. It goes away pretty quickly after decelerating.
Admiral

Check the rod and the pivot tube (tilt tube) that they are packed with Triple Guard or another marine grease and that grease is on all parts that fit together. That will eliminate freeze-ups if you are in salt water and will make things come apart easier in years to come.

Here is a link to the SeaStar installation manual that may help you.

http://www.seastarsolutions.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/296784AT.pdf