Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

2017 90HO Prop??

I've got a 2017 90 HO ETEC tiller. I've got it on a 2017 Larson FX1850TL. The dry weight on these boats are 2100 lbs. I've got a 15 pitch Turbo prop on it. I've tried a couple others. My issue is that I can't get over 5100 RPMs no matter how much I trim it. I trim it just to the point where the nose of the boat starts to bounce, and then I lower it just a touch. I know I'm missing out on RPMs and speed. Nobody around here knows what prop to put on it. Any help?

Admiral

Re: 2017 90HO Prop??

[ Edited ]

If your engine does not go over 5100 rpm after trying different props or trimming the engine, the first thing to do is to check the accuracy of the tachometer. A dealer with a laptop can quickly compare actual engine rpm with the tachometer readings.

What is the complete model number on your engine as printed on the serial number tag?

What speed are you seeing with the 15" Turbo prop and is it a GPS speed reading or from a speedometer?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

I'll have to grab the full model number tomorrow.

I've had a tach meter on the boat while on full plane 5150 max RPM. Running 32 mph max as well on 2 GPS.

Mate

Model number is: E90HSXAFH

Mate

Anyone out there?

Captain

[ Edited ]

Seems underpowered to me. My bay boat weights 1850lbs dry and when we test drove it with the 115 Etec, it was sluggish. Opted for the 150ho. Cruising at 30mph and getting 4-5mpg is nice.

Edit: i just looked at the website for Larson boats.  The tiller model FX1850 is max rated to 90hp, but the dual console FX1850 is max rated to 200hp and only weight 200lbs more.  Same length, same beam (i.e. same hull).  Tiller operation must limit the hp rating since they are the same hull.

2017 Tidewater 1910 Baymax
Evinrude 150HO (M: E150HGXABH S/N: 05500627H MFDate: 6/17)
Captain

http://www.boats.com/resources/outboard-horsepower-ratings-for-tiller-steer-boats/#.WahIsPOGOUk
2017 Tidewater 1910 Baymax
Evinrude 150HO (M: E150HGXABH S/N: 05500627H MFDate: 6/17)
Highlighted
Admiral

that model has the 2.27 gear ratio lower unit. From the numbers you stated, the tachometer could be inaccurate by a few hundred rpm.  Have your dealer check the tach accuracy by using the diagnostic software and a laptop and comparing the readings.

Also check if the motor is mounted too low on the boat. The anti-ventilation plate should be visible skimming across the top of the water at speed, not underwater.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.