Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

New Boat Purchase - Portland Oregon Evinrude Dealer Service Quality Reviews

From Portland, Oregon:

I have been lurking here for almost a year and learning and researching about my new first boat purchase based on all I have read from you all. I am looking toward a new 20' aluminum Pacific NW made boat for mostly lakes and Willamette River fishing and cruising. Probably no Columbia River Buoy 10 for me. Not a fan of rough weather, big waves and chop fishing. If it gets to that, I'll probably pull in and wait it out.

Been watching for prices on used 20' boats, but prices are almost exactly new pricing.

So my questions are these: I know this may not be the most popular local area outboard brand/technology purchase decision, (as most dealers in Portland, OR sell 4-stroke brands), but I'm a highly technical person and like the offering of the BRP Evinrude Etec 115/135/150 HO outboards. The new 2-stroke technology and EMM, along with 2-3 star CARB clean air quality rating, light weight, lower mechanical complexity, no longer having to manually mix oil and gas, 7 year warranty promotion availability, electronic shift and throttle on 135 HP and up, and most of all, 2 stroke hole-shot, have made this my first choice.

My question is this: What real experiences are there with Etec HO owners since 2012 or so with Portland Marine Electronics as an Evinrude Platinum service dealer? And how have your Evinrude etec HO's been for you?

Also, any tips from others who have had to buy a new boat without motor from a first dealer who doesn't sell the outboard brand they want and take it to the wanted outboard brand dealer for rigging and outboard installation? I would be interested in hearing from those that have been through this potentially complicated process.

Thanks in advance,
Truckfan

Admiral

Re: New Boat Purchase - Portland Oregon Evinrude Dealer Service Quality Reviews

Truckfan,

Thank you for your interest in the Evinrude E-TEC outboard motor. We know you will be pleased with whichever model you choose to power the boat.

If your dealer qualified for the Platinum rating from Evinrude, that is the highest honor available and the most difficult to achieve. Chances are the dealer is a good one.

The 90 HO through the 200 HP engines in both V4 and V6 configurations share many of the same parts or similar designs for both parts availability and for reliability. You will find that almost all owners are happy with their engine choice.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                                                 -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Highlighted
Mate

Re: New Boat Purchase - Portland Oregon Evinrude Dealer Service Quality Reviews

Thank You.