Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun

Freshwater Fishing

Whether you're fishing for bass, trout or walleye, in lakes, ponds or rivers with live bait or jigs, you can stop here to join in the freshwater fishing conversation. Read exciting stories, pick up some savvy advice and contribute back by posting your tips.

Tommy Skarlis Q&A: What's Next in 2012

by on ‎01-04-2012 10:22

Juls: What are your plans for 2012?

Tommy: Now that I've gotten through the ice fishing seminars with stops at the Dakota Angler and Hank's Live Bait in Iowa to name a few - I will be doing a ton of Ice Fishing this year.

This will be my 20th straight year of fishing a full circuit competitively and my 25th year fishing tournaments!

Plans for 2012 are to Fish the Entire FLW, with the hopes of qualifying for the Championship. I am fishing 3 MWC's - possibly more. I have really enjoyed fishing the MWC's in 2011 and certain that 2012 will hold the same excitement. I am fishing the Walleye Angler Trail (WAT) tournaments to learn more about the river, and Fishing the AIM events that don't conflict with the schedule.

BIGGEST PLANS FOR 2012 - take my family fishing more and focus more on learning the Mississippi River. Biggest plans are still in the works - I'm embarking on an exercise and diet program that will be very challenging - yet exciting!

Juls: Is there anything new this year from your sponsors or yourself that you would like to talk about or mention?

Tommy: I've been really getting busy on the internet - Facebook has been a lot of fun, Evinrude.com has the new E-Nation and it's really starting to take off.

Exciting news with St. Croix coming out with a full array of Eyecon Trolling rods as well as a whole new line-up in their Legend Tournament Walleye Rods - I'll be even busier. They have also sold out of all of their Ice rods this year!

I have a new promotional partner that I signed with last year called, “E-Z Lube System”, and it is great to work with them. An even a bigger benefit to those that we helped find the unit. As usual - Navionics has been leading the electronic mapping charge with constant updates and the new “Navionics Newstand”, which has been working with Walleye Central Articles as well as numerous other publications.

With a tremendous amount of new tackle hitting the market, I am really excited about 2012. With as much as I've been fishing the rivers I've really gotten into Tackle Creation again, for numerous reasons. But, most importantly, I can build exactly what I need to fish with.  I grew up hand pouring and tying my own jigs and that is really going to hit a new level this winter when I’m getting ready for the new season. I’m presently working with “Do-It Molds” on helping people learn how to make their own tackle. I’m also fishing with a lot of stuff from Hutch's Tackle. It's no secret anymore too, that Salmo's Baits, the “Hornet”, “Bullhead”, and “Chubby Darters” have become a huge part of my arsenal as well as the new Salmo “Zipper”. The new Berkley “Power Ribworms” should be fully available at the retail level as well as other new shapes very soon.
I’m really excited to fish the new 4 and 6 sizes of Flicker Shads (not really excited about forking over the dough for all of the new colors! LOL), as well as some of the new Storm and Rapala stuff coming out soon too. I heard that there is a new Reef Runner??? I am truly a tackle junkie! Ain't it great though?

Berkley Nano-Fil is an improvement in the line category and will replace a few of the lines I use in certain techniques - especially for fishing slip floats.

Juls: What are your thoughts on the FLW's schedule for 2012, and what do you think of the sites and schedule?

Tommy: FLW 2012 – WOW! It’s probably one of the best FLW schedules I've seen to date, with a lot of diversity that will truly make the Angler of the Year EARN the title. With guys like Keenan red hot, Gilman coming on strong, Stier really finding his groove, young guys like Chase Parsons, Shimota, and Courts fully on their game, and the seasoned veterans like McQuioid, Jimmy Bell, Parsons, Kavajecz, Grothe, Meleen and I've missed 30 more here…. this is going to be some intense and fierce competition!

Juls: What are your thoughts on AIM for 2012? I realize they have only announced one event to date, but maybe you can give us your thoughts anyway.

Tommy: The AIM event in Brimley, the Can-Am is going to be a riot! There is already a little trash talking going on, but I’m really looking forward to "battling" it out with our Canadian brothers!!!!

As far as the rest of the schedule, I am like everyone else and am waiting to see the events as they schedule them. I used to have my ear to the ground a little more, but lately I have been focusing intensely on my family and my business; as well as staying away from the rumor mill.  I’m just so just excited to hear the developments just like everyone else.

Juls: What is your seminar schedule for the winter? Where can people come and see you and talk to you?

Tommy: People can always ask me questions on my Tommy Skarlis Facebook Fan Page. As for Seminars, I will start out with a craft improvement seminar at the NPAA, and then I’m off to a really busy schedule including seminars in Des Moines, Cedar Rapids, Waterloo/Cedar Falls, Omaha, Sioux Falls, Fargo, Grand Rapids, MI, Cabelas in Rogers and Owatonna MN, and Al's Specialty Marine in Rochester, and there are a few more activities to come. I will announce them as I book them! You can find that all on my Facebook Fan page.

To interact with Tommy Skarlis and other anglers on the E-NATION message boards, go here: http://community.evinrude.com/t5/Walleye-Fishing/bd-p/Walleye-Fishing

by Feder
on ‎01-11-2012 02:03

Great!!!!! job Tommy