Skipper
MIKEU

130HP ETECH NO POWER

I HAVE A NEW 2011 130HP ETECH

LESS THAN 100 HOURS

SINCE DAY ONE THE ENGINE HAS HAD NO POWER 0UT OF THE HOLE

IF YOU PUT THE THROTTLE TO THE FLOOR IT SLOWLY BUILDS UP THE rpm TO 4000

THEN SEEMS TO KICK IN TO ANOTHER POWER BAND AND TAKE OFF

THE ENGINE REPLACED A120hp FORCE ENGINE THAT HAD NO ISSUE PULLING IT OUT OF THE HOLE

THE BOAT IS A BAYLINER TROPHY 19/6 APPROX 3200LBS

Please use plain text.
Admiral
BluewaterBill

Re: 130HP ETECH NO POWER

The 130 E-TEC is a very strong motor but your description shows that something is affecting the acceleration of the engine. Those motors have a movable exhaust tuning valve that helps low-end acceleration then shifts position to increase high rpm power. That is the "rush" that you feel around 4000 rpm.

See your dealer to have the variable exhaust valve inspected for proper operation and to make sure no linkage came loose behind the actuator motor or that the valve is binding.

The correct propeller plays a big part in the overall throttle response. What is the wide open throttle rpm that the motor acheives when trimmed out and carrying a normal load of passengers, gas, and gear?

By the way, you do not have to type in all capital letters while here at E-NATION. That is considered as shouting on the internet and is not good online ettiquette and is harder to read.  Thank you.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat"
                                                 --- Travis McGee

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with a repair. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Please use plain text.
Skipper
MIKEU

thanks for your response

sorry for the caps -i had surgery on my left arm the day before and it has been difficult typing

I was not shouting

i took the boat back to the dealer as soon as they put the engine on with this problem

they checked it out and changed the prop to a 16 pitch rebel stainless

it helped a little

the engine has a max 6200rpm rating and with this setup it trims out about 5900rpm

i have since had more problems with the engine with total loss of power and left me floating around block island broke down

it is currently at the dealer being checked out

hopefully all this is related

Please use plain text.
Admiral
BluewaterBill

Have your dealer tech take a ride with you and have his laptop handy to check out the motor at all speeds and to make certain that the exhaust tuning valve is operating correctly.

If you do not get satisfaction, call Evinrude customer service at 262-884-5993 with the serial number and tell them of your problems and about your dealer.

--- Travis McGee

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with a repair. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Please use plain text.
Skipper
MIKEU

I would like to follow up with my previous motor issues.

After two dealers and a complete summer without my boat ,the following parts were determined faulty on my motor.

One of my two thermostats,the computer and the variable exhaust valve you mentioned.(all were replaced).

I picked up my boat approx. two weeks ago and have taken it out several times.It seemed to be coming out of the whole Ok

when you punch it.The RPM goes to 3800 almost instantly and shortly after it would go on plane.

One new problem i have noticed is a distinct metal rapping noise in the motor.At first it was on deceleration between 3800 and 2600RPM.I took the boat out this weekend back to the ocean fishing, the noise is very pronounced on acceleration and decelerations 3 passengers made comments about it.

Then came the lack of power out of the whole again.I had the throttle buried and the boat could not get on plain.

I tried several times with not much luck.

I called Etech and the dealer from the ocean.The dealer is set to go for a ride with me next week.

I currently have a 15 pitch prop that was changed from 16.One dealer suggested a 14 but the other that has done most of the work said i should not need that pitch on my boat.

To say IM frustrated is an understatement, I purchased a new Etech so i would not have these problems

Any suggestions

Thanks Mike

Please use plain text.
Admiral
BluewaterBill

Call customer service again and explain what happened.

Post your serial number so we can check into things for you.

Your propeller situation is hard to understand. What size prop was giving you the 5900-6200 rpms?

--- Travis McGee

Please use plain text.
Skipper
MIKEU

Bluewater bill,

I have talked to customer service many times about the motor, they have been very good staying in the loop.

As it stands they want the tech from the the dealer to take a ride, which i have scheduled.Then if needed will send a factory technician out.

The max rpm is 6200 the 15 3/4 x 15 prop maxes out the rpm around 5700-to 5800

The serial# is 05291707 Model#E130DXII

The metallic rapping noise is very disturbing.The customer service rep said in may be engine knock that was famous on older engines but this sounds like something else

thanks

Please use plain text.
Admiral
BluewaterBill

Keep us posted

--- Travis McGee

Please use plain text.
Skipper
MIKEU

Bluewater Bill,

Ok i took the tech from the dealer for a ride today.

The metallic ticking/ rapping noise coming from the motor between 2600 and 3800 RPM is something in his 25 to 30 years he has never heard before.He had his computer hooked up and the engine water temp  seemed fine at idle and on plain.

The engine temp seemed to rise drastically to 210F when between the above mentioned RPM with the engine noise.Lots of steam coming out

We kicked the idle down before it got any hotter to cool the engine.It was repeated several times.

We also have a very pronounced whistling or whining noise coming out of the engine below 2000 RPM ,almost like a bearing

I may be wrong but there seems to be a direct correlation between the noise and the engine temps rising.

Can this be internal engine problem?

The dealer has the boat again and will let me know

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Admiral
BluewaterBill

haven't run across a problem. Like you just described. Let me know whatfinds find out.

--- Travis McGee

Please use plain text.