Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

1999 225 Fitch rapid spark

Hello! new to the site looking for insight. I was on the water Sunday and experienced my motor bogging down wouldn’t get on plane. Then tried again and it went fine. Fished all day then on return same misfiring spitting and sputtering for about 1 1/2 miles then tried to accelerate and it would go to 4000 rpm and get on plane. Returned to the ramp and loaded on trailer. Once Home started the diagnosis process. 115 psi on all cylinders except #6 at 112 psi moved on to spark testing. 1,3,5and 6 looked normal then I checked 2&4. They appear to have a very very rapid spark almost like a lightning bolt. It stumped me. I had the computer repaired at marine computer supply in early spring. So I decided to call and ask him if he had any clue as to the spark. I sent him a video of the spark and his reply was that’s weird. So I’m at a loss of a starting point. Any thoughts will be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Model # E225fpleen
Admiral

Re: 1999 225 Fitch rapid spark

You may want to swap coils with the good spark cylinders and clean the ground contacts until they shine, then retest.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Admiral

Check the condition and resistance of the spark plug wires also.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Thanks for the reply! 2&4 are on two separate coils now but I will swap them around as well. I already swapped plug wire around with no change. I will clean the grounds as well it couldn’t hurt. I read a post pointing maybe to the crank position sensor. Going to go to the manual and start the testing process tonight.
Mate

Some more history. Two seasons ago boat was running at 5900 rpm and 65 mph loaded. Beginning of last season took boat out and only could achieve 5200rpm and 52 mph same prop no other changes. Motor still sounded smooth al the way through power band. October of last year was out fishing and running then motor cut out completely. Was able to get it started and limp back to the dock at 5 mph. Stopped at Marine technician ( Evinrude certified) told him what was happening and he started testing. Ran all diagnostics and switched out parts to try and figure things out with no luck. Motor would idle but stall under load at that point. So I told him my son had a 200 Fitch if same year maybe we could swap computers and retest. So we he did and it ran fine. So at that point he told me it was going to be 2600.00 for new computer and this was at the same time I found out he sunk my boat on the trailer and also about ripped the fender off. So I was not happy to say the least. I asked about rebuilding the old one and he acted like he had never heard of such a thing. So I took boat home pulled computer and sent it to Marine computer supply. They called after testing and told me that # 3&6 cylinders were carbon shorting. They repaired and retested and returned to me. I reinstalled in early spring took boat out ran as good as it did before up to 5200 rpm. I was hoping it would have brought my top end back but it didn’t. So a about a month ago I tested the fuel pressure with out starting and found out my electric fuel pump was not producing pressure. Only 12psi. So as the manual stated pump needed replacing so I did. Now with just turning the key on it goes to 25 psi and holds steady. Boat on water runs good up to 5200 rpm still . Then the last trip is when it ran rough spitting and sputtering with occasional back fire. Sorry about the long thread but that’s the history.
Admiral

It sounds like you may need the services of a trained tech to go for a ride with you while the motor is hooked up to vacuum and pressure gauges along with the diagnostic software to perform a cylinder balance test and a timing light.

Mate

Yea I figured as much. I just had a bad experience with the last one. I’m going to check with Evinrude to get a listing in my area. Thanks again for your insight .
Mate

Only other option would be to park my sons 200 hp next to mine and trouble shoot by swapping ignition parts.
Admiral

@Dlinn22 wrote:
Yea I figured as much. I just had a bad experience with the last one. I’m going to check with Evinrude to get a listing in my area. Thanks again for your insight .

https://www.evinrude.com/content/evinrude/en_US/find-a-dealer.html

Mate

Thank you for the link. I found the list has a rating on the dealers. So question is probably a dumb one but what’s better Platinum or Gold?