Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper
Accepted Solution

200 Oceanpro air box hose and head gasket questions

[ Edited ]

1997 200 Oceanpro, J200TXEUA, new to me, and a couple of things on inspection. The air box has a drain hose on a fitting at the bottom, but there is also a loose hose leading into a hole near the top of the air box. Seems odd to me because there is no fitting there. The hose comes from down below the starboard bottom carb. Anyone know if this is the right setup? Also, there is a small amount of salt residue on the edges of both head gaskets. I'm not fond of this, but is a small amount of weep normal? My compression is equal across all cylinders @105 and the plugs don't show any signs of water. I'm inclined to renew the gaskets, but don't want to waste time or money.

Thanks for any advice.

Admiral

Re: 200 Oceanpro air box hose and head gasket questions

A small amount of salt  "weep" is often seen on cylinder head gaskets. As long as the gaskets are not delaminating it should be OK. If the motor has been severely overheated at one time, then it would be a good idea to remove the heads and replace the gaskets.

That hose is a vent.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Re: 200 Oceanpro air box hose and head gasket questions

Thanks! Seemed odd that the hose just sits in a hole without a fitting.