Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

2000 200 hp Ficht...need tech help

Here's all I know...

170 hrs... I've got the software...no current codes...no check enine light

last week started running missing and would stall when going into gear, installed and indexed new plugs...cleaned intake and cyclinders with Sea Foam...hooked it up to hose at house, idled smooth and went into gear as it should...got on the water this week and started running rough and when I got to 4000 rpm it feels as if I hit a rev limiter...tried several times to go fast past 4k and then just bump it past 4k... same results...feels like the ignition shuts off at 4k, doesn't stall the motor just no further acceleration...ok so I got back home and pulled the plugs again all looked as I expected...black with some soot but not wet, except for #2 and it was ash tan...looks like it was running lean to me...I was thinking TPS but I think that I would be getting a code with that...the EMM has to shutting the engine down to protect itself at 4k I just now shure what sensors would create such a signal... Please help....thanks...tim

Admiral

Re: 2000 200 hp Ficht...need tech help

Do you have the factory service manual for reference?

What tests did you perform with the software at the rpm the problem occurred?

Have you monitored fuel pressures at the problem rpm and other speeds?

Have you monitored the ignition system using a timing light on each cylinder at the problem rpm?

Have you done a compression test?

What is the TPS voltage at that rpm range?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                                                 -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Skipper

I have the service manual... didn't have my laptop so couldn't perform on water  tests...did a static test of TPS...  .27v to 4.34v... comp test 120 across all 6... didn't do ignition test on water but did the dynamic test on all 6 for ignition and injectors on the hose...all cylinders dropped out as expected... on to the fuel system...thanks...with the way it shuts down at 4k everytime I was pretty sure it was TPS... but it appears to be in range....tim

Captain

So does the engine actually stop running or is it speed limited to about 4000 RPM?

If TPS were defective, I would expect RPM to drop considerably when throttle reaches a certain point.

Take a look at the crank sensor.  Check nominal airgap at several points as you rotate flywheel around.  Make sure sensor is securely mounted such that vibration of sensor is not causing loss of sync.

Skipper

I will check the crank sensor...one other thing, on the top of the block on the starboard side behind the linkages I found what appears to be parts of a plactic bushing that has disinagrated... not sure where it came from...

Skipper

The engine does drop rpm's when I hit 4k...did a static voltage check of the tps .27 to 4.30...seemed consistent idle to wot..crank sensor secure but appears to have a wide gap, will adj to .040 to .080...replacing tps today with a know good unit...2 eem rebuilders said eem is not the problem both said tps...

Admiral

Did you do the ohmmeter tests on the TPS?

If so, what were the results?

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Skipper

Ohm'ed at .65 to 4.82

static voltage .27v to 4.35v

Admiral

tcct wrote:

Ohm'ed at .65 to 4.82

static voltage .27v to 4.35v

Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) Test
Disconnect the battery cables at the battery.
Remove the electrical connector from the TPS.
Use an ohmmeter to measure resistance.
STEP 1
Connect red meter lead to terminal “C” and black
meter lead to terminal “A.” Sensor Resistance (between “A” and “C”) > 3000 Ω
STEP 2
Connect red meter lead to terminal “B” and black
meter lead to terminal “A”. Rotate the sensor lever
through its range of travel. The resistance reading
must change evenly as the sensor lever is moved.
STEP 3
Connect red meter lead on terminal “B” and black
meter lead to terminal “C”. Rotate the sensor
lever. Resistance reading must change evenly as
the sensor lever is moved.
TPS voltage can be monitored using the Evinrude
Diagnostics Software program. Use the Engine
Monitor screen to observe voltage while the outboard
is running. Voltage should change evenly
as sensor lever is moved.