Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

2000 Ficht 150 Tilt/Trim Problem

[ Edited ]

I am trying to help a friend with his 150 Evinrude that the trim had become inoperative. I have tested connections through the relays according to service manuals. During testing both up and down tests pass, but when checking the ground side of the system it fails and states to replace the other relay. Both relays are new and had the same problem with old ones. When checking the terminals going to the trim motor on the PDP both terminals go hot whether up or down is pressed. I suspect that the diodes in the power distribution panel are bad and not providing a path to ground for the system. I can operate the trim motor by running +12v and ground to it directly.

Hope someone who has had experience with this could help. Has anyone ever opend up one of these to repair? Or direct me to more thorough testing before ordering the PDP which is over $600. I have also found that DFI Tecnologies can repair them.

Thanks for any help. Rod

Admiral

Re: 2000 Ficht 150 Tilt/Trim Problem

The old (pre-2002)  power distribution panels - PDP - had quality control problems that could result in hard to find problems, especially when they were intermittent. Some people have pried them open and found broken solder joints or cracks in the circuit boards or failed components. 

DFI Technologies,  CDI Electronics, and Marine Computer Supply are the 3 most well-known repair shops that specialize in certain FICHT and Evinrude DI electronics. These companies are a not part of or approved by Evinrude but have good reputations for saving outboard owners time and money with their rebuilding services.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

[ Edited ]

Bill,

Thanks for the info.....

I called Marine Computer Supply who actually "doesn't repair them", but stated he would. He was super helpfull telling me how to split the case and what to look for once inside.

Going to give it a go tonight.

Admiral

Eric is a great guy and I'm glad he was  helpful over the phone to you. Did you know that he was a former OMC engineer who was instrumental in developing the FICHT engine for Johnson and Evinrude?

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

[ Edited ]

Thanks to Eric sharing a morsel of his knowledge with me, I decided to proceed with the repair. Once removed, I removed the 5 phillip's screws holding the PDP and located the seam of the PDP. According to Eric; use a paint scraper to work into the seam and then work around the unit to open it being very cautious not to go too deep and damage the circuit board. Once opened I inspected the solder connections and found a bad solder joint at the 2nd terminal which is the ground terminal. I soldered all 4 connections, reinstalled and the system is working great.. Hope this helps someone else out.

1.JPG2.JPG3.JPG4.JPG5.JPG6.JPG

Admiral

Good for you !!!!!!

Mate

A friend discovered this very helpful post. 

I have an early ficht with the same power distribution panel. I have an intermittent (although increasingly evident) problem where my motor will not tilt/raise either with button on cowling or on the throttle. I have replaced the trim up relay and also checked the blue and green wires for bad connection. Still the problem persists so I am thinking this is probably pdp related. At £600 for a replacement I am minded to attempt to crack it open and attempt a repair but before I do this have I overlooked any other obvious possible cause? note it is only raising/tilting up that I have a problem - works fine every time on tilting down/lowering.    

Admiral

An internal PDP problem was common in those latter years before OMC's demise.

Often a bad solder joint or a cracked circuit board was the culprit.  If an electronic part is bad or you are unsure, several US companies specialize in repairs of those. 

The following companies are not part of or associated with BRP Evinrude but have done repairs on FICHT and DI electronics for years.

http://www.cdielectronics.com/ficht/  
marinecomputersupply.com
dfitechnologies.com

Mate

So, cracked open my pdp and there was no obvious sign of a fault (the one in the photos above showed a clear issue with the solder) so we cleaned it up and put it back together. Initially worked fine but now the fault is back.

We think we have eliminated all other angles so having to bite the bullet and order one in - can't live with an unreliable boat with an intermittent fault..! Interestingly though have learnt that mine is actually a 2003DI not an earlier Ficht - weren't the pdp's supposed to be robust by then as opposed to the earlier ones?

Annoyingly the part is non refundable so if i plug it in and it is still not the problem I am going to have a brand new surplus to requirements pdp up for grabs..!  

Admiral

There are companies that can repair the PDP for you. They are not associated with Evinrude in any way and we cannot recommend a particular one.

http://www.cdielectronics.com/ficht/ 
marinecomputersupply.com
dfitechnologies.com