Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

2008 225 e-tec over heat on port side.

I have bin having problems with the port side of engine giving overheat horn. I live in ky and and mostly use the boat in Florida in the winter time. Only put about 50 hours on boat a year in fresh water only. I am the second owner of this boat.the engine has around 400 hours on it. The overheat problem I have bin fighting for about three years with no change in what ever I do. I have replaced the water pump two times the blow out valve new thermostats, no air in water lines when running, water pressure is 5 at idle and 16 at speed,the engine never goes into safe mode can keep running at higher speeds when light is on, the temp on the boat gauge never goes above 130 when at speed. Also put new plugs,all fuel pump system, and temp sensors with temp grease. Check wires on temp systems on problems.That was all the past stuff the I have done. One  more thing to keep in mind is the light does not come on all the time. I have notice now that water temp and out side air temp and the number of people in the boat effects when the horn/light will come on. This year I noticed that the engine fumes were strong like it was burning to lean and the exhaust at the lower fin was dis coloring the paint. So I do not know if this whole problem might be a injector that is leaning out at high speeds or still a water flow problem. I was able to get the computer program and ran the motor at 4300 rpm for about 10 min the port side was 181 the other side was 169 no lights but did see the temp signal to the starber side flash off and on once or twice and now my battery charging system is not working. everything checks good down to the computer.I am at a lost for anything else to try before I replace the computer or disassemble the motor to check for a clog.

Admiral

Re: 2008 225 e-tec over heat on port side.

Your water pressure, 16psi, is on the lowest limit of the minimum water pressure at full speed.

It has to be determined that the water temperature of the port head is actually getting hot, or that there may be debris, scale, or deposits inside the head where the temperature sensor is located. The use of an infrared temperature gun is suggested for troubleshooting.

How did you determine that there was not an aerated water flow situation?

What number water pump kit did you install in the gearcase?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

The water pressure did not change after water pump installed. The dealers I talk to said that pressure was good for the gearbox that was on it. I was told that I have the one year only gear case. Can not make intakes bigger. I think the part number of pump was 5001595. All the part that I installed were OEM part order by the dealer. I had a clear tube on one side of the computer. I used a infrared temperature gun and shot down both sides not easy to do going 45mph. I had the gun on the cylinder and cylinder head temp range form top to bottom left and right sides135,78 68. never could get the same reading that I was seeing on the laptop. I also shot the temp gun at idle and sill could not get same temp.

Admiral

What  is your engine model and serial number?

Some temp guns give erratic readings around ignition systems due to the high voltages. Also, the temp sensors in the motor are reading the hot air surrounding them inside their cavity. The EMM uses those temperatures for calibrating the fuel and timing at each particular moment.

Your temp gun reads surface "skin" temperature.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

E225DHLSCM  S/N 05213349   8/2007

Highlighted
Skipper

Also Idle temps were with in ranger per the service manual with the port side being only about 5deg. hight at idle Temps being read off of laptop.

Admiral

What kind of boat and what speeds do you get?

Is your gearcase the original L2 or the replacement M2 Magnum?  What propeller and top rpm?

What water pump kit number was last installed?

Skipper

It is a rangerZ20. I usually dont run the boat at max power But at 60mph at around 5300 rpm I think. Most of the timeI run 45 to 50 at 4300 to 4600. The gear box was change out by the first owner when it was new. He told me he was at a terment when it went and the eninrude team on sight changed it out with same unit. I know it was documended by evinrude because I check on  that because i thought it might had the wrong one on it. The prop is a RakerII 14.5 X 25. Water pump P/N 5001595 but it is going on about 2 and a half years now.