Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

2013 250 HO shift shaft

How can i find out what the shift shaft length is supposed to be set at and where to measure from on my 2013 ho etec, i took it out a week ago and it started grindin n reverse, i adjust the shift cable trunion and it stopped but now its adjusted to max length no more turns for trunion to go, i bought the boat used and i believe someone set the shift shaft to the wrong height.
Captain

Re: 2013 250 HO shift shaft

If you are correcting for the wrong shift rod length then your neutral detent and switch may be off center too. From the 2011 service manual for L2 and M2 gearcase, (only manual I have access to right now). 20" engine is 21 29/32 and 25" engine is 26 29/32 inches. Measured from center of hole at the top of the shaft to the mounting surface of the gearcase.
Mate

How do i check the neutral situation, this is a E250HSLABA Model dunno if that helps, Im not very good on workin on this type of stuff takin it to my grandpa to fix and he said find out the shift shaft length and he would adjust and reset the shift cable.
GEB
Captain

[ Edited ]
Admiral

I believe that you are not familiar with what a shift rod adjustment is or how to check the required height. It is not related to the boat's shifting cable adjustment. 

Has your gearcase been removed before for perhaps a water pump replacement or some other reason? If so, then it may have been installed without first adjusting the shift rod, as the rod is easily rotated on removal or installation.

The shift cable trunion that you describe is only for centering the shift cable "throw" to equalize the distance between forward and reverse travel.

Because you bought the boat used, it may be best to have a factory trained tech check over the linkage condition, shift rod adjustment, possible wear on reverse gear and clutch dog, and an overall evaluation of your motor, plus any updates it may need.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

I believe the reason for me having to adjust the shift cable is because the shift shaft perhaps wasnt measured b4 putting back together therefore the reason why the shift cable is now adjusted to the max on the trunion in the forward position it was 4 turns away b4..... is this not logical...... and the boat was n the shop right before i bought it for a full service but didnt state if the shift shaft was measured but the water pump was replaced