Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate
Accepted Solution

2016 40 hp e-tec goes into safe mode after running high throttle

[ Edited ]

Drops into what seems to be some kind of safe mode. Doesn't die but can't throttle up. Goes very slow.  Took cover off and saw the link to butterflies on intake was stuck open. Now when I move it manually back to rest position it starts back to normal but then does it again after running awhile. It will dosame thing in low throttle but can run for a longer time. Is it some kind of programming problem? I will post a pic as soon as I get one on computer. I don't have $125 for shop to look at it at this time. Doesn't overheat or see any warnings on gauges.

Admiral

Re: 2016 40 hp e-tec goes into safe mode after running high throttle

Evinrude, like the rest of the outboard industry, does not use yearly designators for their motors, everything is by model number.

If you bought the motor is 2016 it should still be in warranty unless used commercially. A dealer can check it out for you.  Is there any signs of saltwater residue on the motor that could have migrated to the throttle body shafts and caused them to stick?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

That's something I will look for. This has happened from 1st time I took it out, but it went back to normal after awhile. I know warranty is still good but probably still some charge which I don't have now.  motor is E40DSLAGC
Thanks for input

Admiral

If  you have any problem with a dealer getting your sticking throttle repaired, send an email with the serial number to  brp.care@brp.com . That could be a dangerous situation which could cause injury and property damage. Do not operate the motor until the throttle situation is resolved.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

I know it's been awhile, but I finally got money for expected charges to have shop diagnose problem. Anyways, they ended up replacing the throttle body. $725 if not under warranty. So far it is running fine. Smiley Happy

Captain

Glad it worked out for you. Had this happen to me also and thankfully was still under warranty. Also think I found and corrected cause. Purchased extended warranty, hopefully won't need it, but it doesn't take much to have it pay for itself. GL.

Captain

Robinfla, You should have a minimum 3 year 300 hour warranty, and most likely extended coverage too. Your dealer can check your warranty coverage or you can post your serial number on here and one of us will check for you. If the engine sees problems like very low oil, over heat or throttle stuck it will go into "s.a.f.e. mode and limit rpm to below 1800
Admiral

[ Edited ]

There is no 300 hour stipulation in the recreational factory warranty

1200 rpm is the SAFE mode for an E-TEC

Captain

I appreciate the corrections Bill. The hour limitations only apply under B.E.S.T. coverage. And I was thinking of rev limiter rpm in neutral rather than s.a.f.e.
Skipper

Engine and throttle should be under warranty for at least 5 yrs.