Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper
Accepted Solution

25hp tiller throttle problems after overheating

Running 15 min at plane, motor shut down then would only run at low rpm. Overheated melting tell tale fitting and the throttle is frozen. Not sure how to trouble shoot new to outboard motors?
Admiral

Re: 25hp tiller throttle problems after overheating

It sounds like the motor overheated for some reason. Is this a brand new motor or one that is several years old? What is the model number?

See your dealer to have it checked over and ask also for them to inspect the exhaust tuner as that can affect engine running if it becomes distorted due to heat. The thermostat and plastic pressure relief valve poppet could be affected by the elevated temperatures.

If you are going to do the repairs yourself, first obtain the factory service manual to guide you through the steps and provide you with the service specifications and torque settings.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                                                 -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Skipper

Thank you. Its a 1990. E25RESB tiller. I'm new to boat motors and eager to learn more about them "even if its the hard way. I thought i totally burned it up but was able to start it. Now Im chasing all the over heating damage. Throttle cable melted, tell tale plastic fitting melted so far. Thanks for the pointers Ill start checking each of the things you mention.
Admiral

Most of the questions we get here are newer motors and I mistakenly assumed that your 25 HP was an E-TEC model. That is why knowing the model number is so important when ordering parts or seeking technical advice.

My previous advice about seeing a dealer still stands unless you plan to do things yourself. Your motor does not have an exhaust tuner, disregard that. Obtain the factory service manual first and study it.  www.outboardbooks.com

It sounds like the powerhead got extremely hot as there is not overheat warning on smaller older engines, you have to observe the tell-tale water flow.  It would be advisable to also replace the head gasket, check the head for warping, inspect the cylinderwalls for scoring, and replacing the exhaust cover gaskets. Also repair any melted wiring or fittings, and check the throttle linkage for stiffness due to the overheating of components.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Skipper

Thanks for the follow up. Im doing to work myself quite pleased w all I have learned already. This is awesome advise thank you.
Skipper

Hi Bill, Im making progress on repairs and have question. Im replacing thermostat and heat sensor and new gasket. Do you know if this gasket requires gasket sealer?
Admiral

It is recommended to use the non-hardening Evinrude-Johnson Gasket Sealer  part no. 508235 for a 4 oz. can with a brush in the lid. It is also known as Perfect Seal #4

Skipper

Thank you
Skipper

Ive been making good progress replaced alot of heat damaged parts. When i test run the motor still no water out of tell tale. I found alot of heated plastic/rubber inside water jacket surrounding cyliders. Like more stuck in water passage somewhere. Im wondering is you could give me any idea what the material i found in water jackets could be?
Actually trying to attach a picture. Looks like thats not possible?