Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

60 HP E-TEC 2013 WORST ENGINE I EVER HAD

I am not sure if this will help other guys interested in purchasing an Evinrude E-tec 60 but guys, DO NOT.

this is the worst (capital F) engine I've had and I had a few...

Since I got it new in 2013 I had the following issues:

Lower Unit (twice)

Shaft (once)

Computer blown (twice)

manifold (once)  this time it took "Platinum" official r almost 10 days to figure out what happened.

Coils (3 TIMES!!!!!!!)

and today I had to be towed again since another coils started smoking and shut the engine.

So guys, if you fish as much as I do and don't want headaches DO NOT CHOOSE EVINRUDE.

I must admit that Evinrude honored the warranty but I've lost lots of good  fishing days, spent quite a few bucks in towing and a lot of hours of driving back and forth from the authorized Service workshop.

Admiral

Re: 60 HP E-TEC 2013 WORST ENGINE I EVER HAD

captmartin233,

I am sorry to hear about the problems you had with your Evinrude and thank you for bringing it to our attention.  Your experiences are not the norm.  Can you tell us the serial number of the motor so we can look into your situation? 

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                                                 -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Skipper

Hi Bill, will check and let you know and for your info I talked to Customer Service a couple times and I did get boat repaired under warranty by Seapower in Kendall, Fla.  but the engine keeps failing over and over...  it is very frustrating, time consuming, expensive and annoying.

I am sure you will check the serial number but I will still have the same engine until I get rid of it and someone else will inherit the problem. 

I did consulting for two fishing operations in the Caribbean these past 4 years and we bought 28 brand new flats boats.  I recommended any brand except Evinrude.  It is a shame we had to buy Japanese engines instead of US.  d

Skipper

Hi Bill, serial # is 5356127  always serviced by Seapower Inc (Platinum)

I am sure they do have the history of the repairs at their shop. 

Now I am waiting until Tuesday next week with a broken engine because they are way busy.

Captain

ive had mine since 2012 and its flawless,never missis a beat.My friends merc 4 poke blew into a thousand pieces almost right away.Sorry the point is any mfg can and will produce a lemon now and again that because its a mech piece and being mech pieces they will unfortunately fail now and then.Oh how about the new 250 yamaha towed to a local marina by a 70,s 85 johnson that had several holes in the block!Every time i go to camp its a round trip of 90 mile total by water and mine has been flawless.Im truly sorry about your luck and if evinrude was anyknd of company they should give you a relacement motor as a gesture of good will.Lemons suck but will happen.

Skipper

Hi Rudeman.

yes man, lemons happen and this happened to yours truly.

all the fishing guides in my area swear for Yamaha.  One very good and busy capt. had an E-tec for a year on his Hells Bay and got tired of it too so he switched to Yamaha. 

Admiral

captmartin233 wrote:

Hi Bill, serial # is 5356127  always serviced by Seapower Inc (Platinum)

I am sure they do have the history of the repairs at their shop. 

Now I am waiting until Tuesday next week with a broken engine because they are way busy.

Thanks.

Send an email to brp.care @brp.com  with the serial number, dealer name, contact info, and your engine history. They will look into your situation.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Skipper

Hi, thanks but what are they going to do? 

send me back to the dealer to get it fixed under warranty?  again wait 2 or 3 weeks until I can get an appointment?

Seems to me that I will be wasting more time.  I already contacted Seapower and have to wait 8 days (in prime tarpon season) until they can look at it.

I never write negative posts online, but this is too much.

Appreciate your time though. 

Admiral

Wouldn't it be advantageous to have other departments aware of your situation and perhaps communicating with the dealer for updates and offering suggestions?

Captain

[ Edited ]

Hey, really sorry to hear of your troubles. Been there before myself, know how frustrating it can be. I have a 2014 60 etec now, bought it used on a boat close to two years ago. Did have to have throttle body replaced a few months ago, pretty sure I know what caused it. But it was in and out in like 3 or 4 days, most of that was waiting on part, and was fully covered by warranty. Other than that, she starts and hums right along, and I don't particularly baby 'em. Well, you got Bill on it, maybe go with it and see if they can help you out. Maybe they can do something on it and you can use it for a trade in on something else. Good luck with it. D