Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

90 etec Runs rough

Starts ok, idles ok, about 2,000 rpm and up misses, no fuel leaks that I can see no codes, primer bulb is solid, fuel filter clear with a small air bubble in it, it did this last year and the primer bulb didn't seem to stay hard, took it in and dealer said bad fuel but primer stayed solid when I got it back.
Running 90 octane fuel no alcohol in it, I topped off my other tank and added some evinrude fuel conditioner and I will run it on that for a bit to see if anything changes.
The motor is 1 year old yesterday.
Any ideas what it might be?
Captain

Re: 90 etec Runs rough

I suggest checking the spark plugs and cleaning the injector tips. The new fuel addatives will probably clean them. I remove the plugs and spray a good bit of engine tuner in the cylinders, let it soak for 15 minutes, then put the plugs back in.
Mate

I switched to fresher fuel tank and it took right off, ran it for about an hour then switched back to original tank that I had thought might be bad fuel and it coughed a couple of times but then ran ok for about a half hour, go figure?
Highlighted
Mate

It's back :-( misses bad over 1500 rpm, it was doing it intermittently and I would switch tanks and our prime the bulb and it would eventually take off but now no go any ideas?
I'm full of oil, mostly 91 octane, 2+4 fuel conditioner at specified rate plus some seafoam added, still no go.
Fuel filter looks clean, a few air bubbles on port side in one of the oil lines leaving the pump?
Admiral

You are probably at the point where you need a trained tech to check over the motor and go for a ride with you while a laptop and fuel vacuum and pressure gauges are temporarily attached.

You are certain the plugs are like new, indexed  correctly, and gapped ?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Hi bluewaterbill, I topped off with 91 oxy free and added some evinrude 2+4 and fuel system cleaner and picked up plugs at the dealership where I bought the motor a year ago and had them gap them, the original ones were gaped quite a bit wider than the new ones, and changed them and it seems to make a world of difference, as in no misses at all and could run any rpm with no issues, so I'm going with plugs and or fuel but leaning towards they plugs.
Yes I did index them also.
Thanks for your help.