Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

Blown Lower Unit E225DPXSDR

Lower unit on my 225 failed and I was wondering if there are factory remanufactured options out there or any good recommendations for aftermarket options both new and reman. SEI does not make and LU for this model ETEC. Trying to save a few bucks if I can as new OEM LU is over 5K! Trying to determine what the cost savings would be if there is a factory reman option out there. Thanks for the help.

Admiral

Re: Blown Lower Unit E225DPXSDR

[ Edited ]

Your dealer can provide you with a factory approved rebuilt gearcase. It will be the latest M2 design compared to your M1 model as it has the 6 extra low water pickups in it.  Factory rebuilds are listed in the Genuine Parts and Accessories Catalog that your dealer has from Evinrude.

Remanufactured Powerheads & Gearcases
Evinrude®/Johnson® remanufactured powerheads and gearcases deliver the durability and performance for which our engines are famous.

Our years of experience and commitment to quality give you the piece of mind that our remanufactured powerheads and gearcases are built to our exacting standards. Evinrude®/Johnson® remanufactured powerheads and gearcases are built exclusively with Evinrude®/Johnson® Genuine Parts.

Remanufactured powerheads and gearcases are backed by our solid one year limited warranty*
that covers parts and labor.

* For remanufactured powerheads sold in the U.S. and used recreationally only. Some restrictions apply. See the full text of the warranty for all the terms and conditions of this limited warranty

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                                                 -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Mate

Thanks. Having trouble getting straight answers from my dealer on the availability and price difference between a remanufactured gearcase and new. This is very helpful.
Mate

Yesterday my E225 lower unit had a catostrophic failure at cruise speed.  Loud knocking in forward, no reverse.  The case isn't cracked and no oil has been lost.  Please share any details about your findings...I'm 2 weeks out for our local Evinrude guy.  Engine had 3 year service last Spring and I haven't hit anything.  Very disappointed as I am just 6 months out of warranty.