Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate
StClairHound

Cold weather starting

I have a 2000 , 200 hp ficht.  Purchased new out of the box as a non current in 2008. In late fall and early spring when air temps are below 40 degrees the engine won't start. When I turn the key all the warning lights on the dash flash. Once the sun comes out and it warms up it operates as normal. I am told by my dealer that it is sensor, to do with the water cooled fuel pump? Don't know I am not a mechanic. I am also told there is no fix for it. That does not make sense, do they not sell these in colder weather areas. It is problem every spring and fall.

Please use plain text.
Admiral
BluewaterBill

Re: Cold weather starting

Cold weather brings out any weakness in an electrical system. The biggest culprit is the battery. Your best bet is to have at least a 1000 MCA rated battery for starting your FICHT. In addition, the cables and conntections have to be be shiney clean and secured with lockwashers and hex nuts, no wing nuts.

The use of Evinrude's XD-100 synthetic oil is mandatory is cold temperatures on both FICHT and E-TEC motors.

Spark plugs should be new and indexed and gapped (.028") per the factory manual. Your FICHT has short plug life so they need changing or at least re-gapping in around 50 hours.

One problem that your dealer may be overlooking is the effect of condensation on the wiring, connections, and components of the electrical and ignition system. If you remove your motor cover in 40 degree temps, you may see the condesnsation moisture beaded up on the engine and wiring which can bleed off voltage while trying to start. Perhaps that is why the motor starts better when it is sunny out as the moisture has evaporated.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat"
                                                 --- Travis McGee

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with a repair. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Please use plain text.
Mate
StClairHound

Bill thanks for the comments. I use the xd 100. All electrial connections are clean. Dual batteries are topped up all the time with an onboard auto charger. She sits on the trailer at home always plugged in. When I have removed the cowelling have not noticed condensation. I have even placed a lightbulb under the cowelling overnight. Batteries are largest I can put in because of the electronics on board.

Please use plain text.
Admiral
BluewaterBill

One thing to check is to make sure that about 10 volts are present at the starter cable post while cranking. Use a digital voltmeter first thing in the morning for an accurate reading. If the voltage is around 9.6 or so, then the EMM may not boot up and be able to fire the injectors or it may turn on and off as the voltage fluctuates while cranking over. Make sure there is voltage coming off the  pink wire on the starter solenoid also.

There are also checks for the start assist circuit explained in the service manual.

--- Travis McGee

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with a repair. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Please use plain text.
Mate
StClairHound

Thanks very much
Please use plain text.
Mate
Elmqvist

Hi,

I have an Evinrude 300 hp E-tec 2011 model in Sweden. Winter is cold down to maybe 15 deg F. However water doesnt freeze since it is salt water. Can I have the boat+motor in the water and only tilt engine up when not in use? Engine is totally out of the water when tilted up.

Grateful for a professional answer.

Please use plain text.
Admiral
BluewaterBill

In below freezing weather it is best to leave the motor down - in a vertical position - so that the engine block and the mid-section drain completely.

--- Travis McGee

Please use plain text.