Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Could this be an EMM or senser problem?

2009 ETEC-250 HO,  200hrs.  No previous problem but last week engine suddenly bogged down when I tried to accelerate as if it was only  going on half it's cylinders  Took it in to Evinrude dealer and had plugs replaced, new fuel filter and I assume they checked for error codes. They said everything worked during trial run,  I took it out and at first worked normally but then second time I started it up it  bogged down again when I tried to accelerate. Now I am wondering if it was just going into S.A.F.E.mode  for some reason. No warning lights or beeps came on.. Could it be a bad senser problem or bad EMM?  I will be taking it back to the dealer after the holidays but woulld like any suggestions I could offer the dealer to check..  They said everything worked fine after 

Admiral

Re: Could this be an EMM or senser problem?

Ask your dealer technician to ride with you and have his test equipment onboard so he can troubleshoot when the motor acts up.

If the motor is going into SAFE mode, it will be limited to 1200 rpm and will run rough if you try to exceed that rpm but will run normally below 1200.  

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Took boat to dealer and they just called and said they are getting error code for the #4 fuel injector. He said they cleared the codes and repeated test and same error code for the #4 fuel injector came up. I guess I will have to replace the fuel injector which is quite expensive considering I only have 200 hrs on the engine. Does this bad fuel injector sound like it is the cause for my engine bogging down when I try to accelerate?
Admiral

Yes, a faulty injector would affect acceleration and full power output.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.