Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper
jindajiver

E TECs and Injectors

Why do ETECs not get along with injectors?

Please use plain text.
Admiral
BluewaterBill

Re: E TECs and Injectors

I'm not sure what you mean. The E-TEC injector is a precision component that delivers the correct amount of fuel in a fine mist at the correct time. That is what makes the E-TEC such an environmently friendly engine with some of the lowest emission levels measured in an outboard.

Being a precision piece of equipment, it is subject to problems if run with stale fuel deposits, water, or debris in the gas.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat"
                                                 --- Travis McGee

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with a repair. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Please use plain text.
Skipper
jindajiver

What can be done to prevent this? I use a fuel filter on the engine, an in-line water seperating fuel filter, 2 + 4 fuel conditioner, fresh fuel from a busy station ( tested 7% ethanol) and a brand new plastic fuel tank, all BRP OEM products. Why did i just have to replace 3 of the 4 injectors in the past 5 months on my 2008 115?

Please use plain text.
Admiral
BluewaterBill

did the injectors have an electrical problem inside of them and register an error code stored in the computer (EMM) or was there debris or corrosion inside the screens when the dealer inspected them?

--- Travis McGee

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with a repair. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Please use plain text.
Skipper
jindajiver

On the injectors that have been replaced, there were open circuit codes in the emm, all at different points in time (each injector was replaced individually). According to every etec owner I have talked to, this is a very common problem. Why were the ficht and di engines not as prone to this problem? They did burn a bit more fuel, but IMO, were much more reliable. I love my Etec, don't get me wrong, but I would really like to not have any more issues with fuel injectors. Will I have to replace them again in 3 more years?

Please use plain text.
Skipper
jindajiver

anyone? Stumped the chump.

Please use plain text.
Admiral
BluewaterBill

I don't see any large numbers of injector malfunctions. Yes, they do happen as they are a mechanical device manufactured by humans.  Considering the total number of E-TEC injectors produced over the past 8 model years, the return rate is very small.  What motors you hear about on the internet and the ones you see are a very small proportion of the whole picture.

It is similar to a policeman. If all he does is catch criminals and deals with "scumbags" every day, that person will have a different perspective about people than someone who sees the good in folks every day.

--- Travis McGee

Please use plain text.
Skipper
jindajiver

Ok, so you mean to tell me that this is an isolated problem? It seems to me that this is (injectors) a weak link for all evinrude etec engines. My etec is a fantastic engine, when its not in the shop. As far as injectors being man made.... Quality control?

Please use plain text.
Skipper
jindajiver

bluewaterbill, are some kiind of evinrude employee? how do you know so much about these engines?

Please use plain text.
Admiral
BluewaterBill

[ Edited ]

jindajiver wrote:

bluewaterbill, are some kiind of evinrude employee? how do you know so much about these engines?

Click on my picture on the main page for my bio, second image from the right.

--- Travis McGee

Please use plain text.