Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

E-Tec 135 Hot Light

Hi Guys

I have a 2015 135 E-Tec that I keep here on the Hudson by the GW Bridge in NJ.  My hot light comes on after I hit 3000 RPM.  The hot light came on ONCE when I first got it and twice last year.  Not it comes on everytime I hit 3000 RPMs.  

I do not think this is anything I can fix on my own.

Since I live in NJ on the Hudson the closest place that I know of that does warranty work is not very close to me. 

Does anyone have any ideas?

Admiral

Re: E-Tec 135 Hot Light

You are sure it is the HOT light and not the CHECK ENGINE light that comes on over 3000 rpm, right ?

Does the engine automatically slow down to 1200 rpm when the light comes on and the horn sounds?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Hi - Yes it is the HOT Alarm and the boat goes into safe mode for about 45 seconds.

It then runs normally at slow speeds.   It only happens when I am going faster. 

To make matters worse I can not find an AUTHORIZED dealer that is close to me in NJ and the ones that are in NYC do not want to come to me. 

I and hightly disappoited in the lack of qualifted people that are AUTHORIZED to work on this eninge on this side of the hudson.  

I will NEVER buy another evinrude again.

Admiral

Keep in mind that if the cooling water passages to the EMM and VST are restricted, the EMM will overheat and the HOT light will come on and the motor slows to 1200 rpm. The cylinderblock may be at  proper temperatures but the motor will have the same symptoms with an overheated EMM.

A tech with a laptop can tell when, how many times, how hot, and where the overheat condition is located.

To locate dealers near you, go to   http://www.evinrude.com/en-US/find-a-dealer.html

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

I am following this discussion. We have a 2015 135HO that has an overheat alarm also. So far our tech has completed the tests requested by BRP but have not found the issue yet.

Admiral

BSBRose21 wrote:

I am following this discussion. We have a 2015 135HO that has an overheat alarm also. So far our tech has completed the tests requested by BRP but have not found the issue yet.

What is the engine model and serial number and what does the engine report show for temps, times, and types of codes?

Has the tech used a water pressure gauge to monitor water pressure at all rpms and compare those with the factory specs?  Has the cooling system been tested for aerated water problems?

Captain

Hi Bill,

I'm going to have to find out the model number - not sure where to find this. My  serial number is 05430759. I've been in contact with BRP after sales support since the issue started and they have been in contact with our tech. BRP said they completed a water and oil pressure test.  I have not heard anything about the cooing test. I'm not sure if there were any others completed.  I don't have a copy of the engine report.  On Friday, I received the information that no issue has been found so far from the marina and the BRP after sales support team.  

Captain

I do have a case # with BRP if that is helpful.

Admiral

If you already have a case started, you are in good hands and there is not much we can do at the moment.

Captain

So far customer service has been really good - I've been speaking with Logan in after sales support. The dealer has requested a tech come out and take a look at the motor since they aren't able to determine the cause.  I'm really hoping to have the boat fixed by 4th of July weekend.