Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain

Re: E-Tec 135 Hot Light

Just an update..BRP and the dealer have not been able to come up with a cause of our overheat problem.  The engine report showed 120 overheats (combination of air/water temp) and 29 oil pressure codes.  From these forums I feel it could be the thermostat spring. I'm not sure what else we can do but pick up the boat and hope for the best. 

Skipper

You may very well need a new pressure relief valve spring, not a thermostat spring.  Your symptoms are indicative of a lack of water volume at cruise and a lower pressure spring will likely cure it!  

Captain

So I did send the info to BRP.care@brp.com  to look into the pressure relief valve spring but they said the dealer would have to request. The dealer completed all the tests requested by BRP and they passed.

Should I request this part to be replaced at my own charge?

Is there a specific part number that I can refer them to?  If BRP won't cover through my 7 year warranty, any idea of the cost of it? At this point I just don't want to have to keep taking it back to them. 

Admiral

Evinrude approves this spring change if needed

#5006465  --  19# Blow OFF spring kit for any 60° E-TEC  --  original  spring is 22 psi 
The kit is an assembly consisting of the diaphragm, plunger, and spring.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Is there a specific test that needs to be run to verify it is needed? So far they have looked at cooling system and oil pressure test.
Captain

I was able to get my Model number/Serial Number from the dealer if this helps.

Model #E135HGLABF Serial #05430759

Captain

Is this the part number for the water intake screens #339247. Should we do these at the same time?

Captain

Sorry I have lots of information today. I did forget to mention that our lower unit did go out at the end of the season 2016. They said it was a manufacturer defect - broken into pieces inside the lower unit.  I'm wondering if the cooling system should be flushed too.

Captain

An update and hoping for some more help! After cleaning the thermostats and cooling system the dealer felt the upgraded pressure relief valve spring was not needed. We picked up boat last night and it threw three overheat alarms again. It is only doing it at optimal cruising speed at 3800-4000 rpm. We tried other lower/higher rpms with no issues. We have had the boat for two years. I don't know if it is related but we were having a lot of issues with spun/melted hubs in our aluminum prop the first year so we changed to a stainless steel.
Admiral

Write an email to brp.care@brp.com and include the serial number, dealer name, and the engine's history.

We apologize that your engine problems have not been promptly corrected as they should be.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.