Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain

Re: E-Tec 135 Hot Light

I have been in contact with BRP after sales support throughout this process. Our contact wanted to know an update after we picked up the boat so I will let him know.
Admiral

Keep us posted

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                                                 -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Captain

Well I just received the information back from our dealer that BRP is now saying the overheat alarm must be due to something boat related and not motor related so basically they aren't going to fix. 

I am so frustrated because we have not changed anything on this boat.  It ran fine the first year.  I keep seeing the recommendation for the different pressure relief valve spring which may help at this cruising speed but it looks like we would have to pay for it ourselves to get it done.

Please let me know anything else we can try. 

Admiral

If the problem is boat related, due to aerated water or disturbed water flow, sometimes the larger hi-flow water inlet screens can help. they are not very expensive.

Aerated water ingestion can also be tested by using a piece of clear hose on the EMM water cooling line and monitor for bubbles at various speeds.

A temporarily installed water pressure gauge can be used to monitor pressures at various speeds and compared to published specs.

These are procedures that trained technicians should be familiar with.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Captain

The dealer did recommend installing a water inlet kit that extends the pick up off the gearcase that may help. What is this?

Admiral

That is the set of high flow water inlet screens that I mentioned previously

Captain

I have been reading all of your problems and it makes me uneasy. I have a 2014 135HO and as of this writing it has been the best outboard I have ever owned. Before I repowered to this motor I had installed a water pressure and temp. gage. I run with the pressure gage just as much as my tach. The water temp gage is not true, it regesters block temp not water temp although I would like to know how to change that. Sample of running tach reads 4000, pressure reads 27 psi, and temp reads 270 degrees. No alarms for over heat and water coming out of discharge is just warm to touch. I reall hope you find  your problem and get it fixed. I will and would buy another EVINRUDE, me and 4 strokes are not friends, I would not waste my money on them. GOOD LUCK

Captain

E-Tec 135 Hot Light

Hi Redsrude!  I'm hoping we are able to figure it out too.  Our dealer ordered the inlets (at our cost) to try. They weren't very expensive. If that doesn't work we are going to purchase the lighter pressure relief valve spring and have it installed. BRP has now said it is because of our boat and not warranty-related so all repairs will be at our cost.

I'm disappointed because I've seen many posts on etecownersgroup forum, here, and pontoon forum that the "technical service tip"  about the different pressure relief valve spring that may be necessary on the slower hulls.  that I think our 22' pontoon would be considered a slower hull and feel that it should be changed under warranty. I'm not sure if it is true but someone mentioned the early 2015's did not have the lighter spring but the later 2015's did. Ours is an early 2015.

But at this point I just want it fixed no matter the cost. We do love our boat and would like to keep it. It runs perfect...just not in that RPM.

Admiral

If any of those things work, be sure to ask your dealer to cover the warranty on them. If you have any problems, email the serial number and the history to  brp.care@brp.com

Captain

Tried high flow water screens..did not work