Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

EMM Cooling Fitting

The inlet cooling line to the EMM on my 2000  Evinrude 115 coroded and broke off.  It is not made into the EMM like the outlet and the fitting collar is round and black.  I'm guessing it is pressed in and not screwed in since the collar is round.  Has anyone had this problem and removed this fitting before?  Any suggestions on how to get it out without damaging anything?  It is lot listed as a seperate part in the parts catalog.  

Skipper

Re: EMM Cooling Fitting

IMG_2794.JPG

Admiral

E-TEC 40 – 300 h.p. EMM cooling nipple or fitting is serviceable under part number 330272

Parts catalogs for E-TEC engines do not list a replacement EMM cooling nipple part number.

Wash off the salt corrosion and clean up the flywheel area and other rusted steel parts and spray with a protectant to prevent further rusting.

When done with the repair, look for water leaks at other locations such as the pressure relief valve.  Make sure the motor is not ingesting spray into the motor cover intake while test running. Most often that is caused by a transducer mounted incorrectly.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Thanks Bill.  I ordered the fitting and as a backup I ordered a stainless barb fitting and tap.  So far I haven't been able to get the old fitting out.  I soaked it in Fluid Film and used vice grips to try to get the fitting out.  The old adapter collar is round so it is not easy to get off.  I'll get a big screw extractor tomorrow and try that.

Thanks for pointing out the fly wheel.  That will be my next task.  

Admiral

[ Edited ]

I overlooked your EMM and original post mentioning that it is a FICHT engine, not an E-TEC model.

The water cooling fittings are different.  Some good techs have been able to tap a FICHT EMM fitting with a 1/8-NPT and thread in a nipple. Care has to be exercised.

There are several independent companies that specialize in FICHT EMM repairs such as dfitechnologies.com, cdielectronics.com, and marinecomputersupply.com. It may be to your advantage to contact the companies for their repair services.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Sorry it took a awhile to post the fix for this problem.  Hopefully this can help someone else.   My EMM fittings were repaired and work great.  Here is what I did and used to fix the broken cooling fittings on my Evinrude Fitch EMM.  The other fitting broke as soon as I tried to get the cooling tube off so I did both sides.

1.  Order the material you need
    1. From Crowley Marine ->  0330272  Nipple  x2  $12.72  (Thanks Bluewater Bill for the PN)
    2. From Mc Master Carr ->
      1. 2654A21 ------ Pipe & Conduit Thread Tap for Aluminum, Copper, and Brass, 1/8 Pipe Size, NPTF Thread  x1 $22.83

2. 7353T717  --- Hand-Held LT Cleaning & Deburring Tube Brush with Stainless Steel Bristles, 5/16" Diameter, 7" Overall Length, Stainless Steel Stem  x1 $2.83

3. 7353T716  --- Hand-Held LT Cleaning & Deburring Tube Brush with Stainless Steel Bristles, 1/4" Diameter, 7" Overall Length, Stainless Steel Stem x1 $2.70

4. I also order 91465K13 which are brass 1/8NPTF fitting but I only used them to clear and test my threads before installing the plastic nipple I ordered from Crowley.  Do not leave those brass fittings installed as they will corrode very quickly since the EMM is aluminum.
      5. Other items I already have or are easy to get are->
        1. Q size drill bit.  I didn't have a Q so I used a 21/64
        2. Flat metal file
        3. Silicon, may not need or could maybe use teflon tape but felt like being safe and used silicon as a thread sealant
        4. Tap handle
        5. Air compressor with blow out nozzle for cleaning the cooling channel  are drilling and taping
      6. Almost forgot, you will need or need access to a drill press.  Don't try to do this with a hand drill.  Your chance of success will be very low and you will probably break something or hurt yourself.
  2. Here is the procedure or at least what I did:
    1. Remove the EMM from the engine.
    2. File down the broken inlet and outlet water cooling fitting down to the collar of the old fittings leaving a flat surface.  You don't have to file all the way down to the EMM.  The old fitting are pressed in and will be so corroded that it is just one part now.
    3. Use the wire brushes to clear the cooling path all the way thru the EMM.  The 1/4" brush should be able to go all the way into the EMM from both sides of the cooling fittings.  I'm assuming both fitting are broken off.
    4. Clamp the EMM to a drill press and use either the Q or 21/64 drill bit to drill to a depth just a little deeper (maybe 1/8") than the fitting threads.  I think I drilled to about 1/2" deep.  emm drill.jpg
    5. With the EMM still clamped, remove the drill bit and replace it with the tap.  Do not turn on the drill with the tap.  Better yet just unplug the drill.  Rotate the chuck by hand while lightly pressing down lightly on the tap.  Do this until the tap gets too tight to rotate by hand.  Using this method ensure you are starting the tap straight.  Back out the tap and complete the tap by hand with a handle off the drill press.  emm tap start.jpg
    6. Remove the EMM from the drill press and complete the tap by hand with at tap handle.
    7. Repeat steps 4-6 for the other cooling fitting
    8. Use the air compressor and wire brushes to clean the taped threads and cooling channel.  emm clean.jpgemm taped.jpg
    9. Test your threads with the brass fitting and remove the fitting
    10. Put a very little amount of 100% silicon sealant around the plastic nipple fitting threads keeping the sealant away from the end of the fitting.  You don't want any of the sealant getting inside the non-threaded part of the cooling channel.
    11. Reinstall the EMM
    12. Wait until the next day before testing to give time for the silicon to dry.
    13. Done

emm finish.jpg

Captain

Pro level repair. Nice work.
2017 Tidewater 1910 Baymax
Evinrude 150HO (M: E150HGXABH S/N: 05500627H MFDate: 6/17)
Highlighted
Admiral

Thank you for the report, instructions, and photos. That is very good workmanship.