Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

Engine won't start, no spark to the plugs

Need to know if anyone knows how to test the charge coil output and or the power pack output with out the  s-80 or m-80 neon test light because I don't have one . I think the power pack is out I have changed it before at the dealer, the season is getting shorter and I need to get running again . it's a 115 hp model 115393

Admiral

Re: Engine won't start, no spark to the plugs

You are posting this in the Evinrude E-TEC section. It should be in the Johnson or Evinrude forum in the OWNERS ZONE.

You must be reading an old manual, The neon test lights have been obsolete for a many years. Today we use a peak reading voltmeter or also known as a DVA. You can also buy inexpensive DVA adapters for your digital meter.

Don't overlook the the black/yellow  stop wire (kill wire) circuit as being a problem. Disconnect it to see if spark returns.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                                                 -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Mate

Thank's for the reply ,yes it is a old manual  will check into getting a adaptor, did check the kill system and still no spark

Admiral

[ Edited ]

Another thing to check is your starter, cable, and battery condition as those motors have to spin over close to 350 rpm to generate enough voltage for the sparkplugs. If the motor isn't cranking fast enough, you can spend a lot of money swapping parts for no reason.

Try http://www.esitest.com/640.html for a decent DVA adapter. I will be doing an article or a review on it in the near future.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Mate

Help 225 omc no spark
Mate

I have two 89 225 o.m.c sea drive i have no spark from the spark plugs and i did all i know how to do and to them
Highlighted
Admiral

If both do not have spark, I assume this is a twin engine rig, then look for something common between them such as the safety switch on the dash and the boat harness wiring.

What ignition tools do you have, what have you tested so far, and what were the DVA readings from each component?

Mate

I have 15 johnson. When you first try to crank you get no fire to the plugs. If you short the kill switch wire black to the block while winding the motor and inshore and do a couple time the engine will then fire. Once it cranks it is good as long as you crank every hour or so. What do you think caused
Admiral

First we need to know which year motor you have

What is the model number?