Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Etec 150 RPM

I have an Etec 150HO on my 22' Hurricane Fundeck.   I only get about 4800-5000rpm when trimmed down but get 5100-5300 when I trim it about half way up.    Should I look at changing the prop to get higher rpm?  Will it result in higher top speed?  Will I lose or gain torque when pulling a skiier up?

Thank you

Admiral

Re: Etec 150 RPM

If you are pulling skiers, you want a higher rpm, near the redline for best acceleration. The redline depends on your model number. Please post it here.

To find out if your prop is correct, trim the motor up slowly until it loses its grip, then trim down until you reach the best speed. Record that rpm and speed and trim position.

For pulling up skiers, trim the motor all the way in when you start.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                                                 -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Skipper

The model number is E150HSLABB.   I did a speed and rpm test this afternoo.  While trimming the motor up, the best speed I got was 43mph at about 4250rpm.

Admiral

Do you mean 5250 rpm?

What propeller make , model, and pitch ?

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Skipper

Yes 5250rpm  sorry (typo) it is a Viper stainless  prop but I don't see where on it the pitch etc  is marked, any advice on where to look on the prop.

Admiral

Remove the propnut and spacer to see the size stamped on the inner hub.

Skipper

I was able to take the prop off today, it is 14.75 x 17

Admiral

try the 15" Viper prop. You may be able to raise the motor one our two mounting holes for even better performance.

Make sure that your tachometer is accurate as many are not. You dealer can easily check it with his laptop.

Skipper

I never got around to trying a new prop, you suggested Viper 15. Did you mean a 14.75 x 15? When I looked I saw 13.88 x 15, any suggestions where to locate one?

Would other manufacturer 15 pitch give me the same result?
Admiral

The 14.75" diameter prop is for V6 engines. 

We do not support or give advice on competitive products.