Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Drg
Mate

Etec remote throttle.

Greetings.  I'm totally new to boating but just picked up a Etec 30 hp tiller motor.  I have a 1958 Elgin runabout that I would like to put the motor on.  I'm looking for the most cost effective remote throttle to use on the project.  Any help would be appreciated.  The motor doesn't have power trim and is pull start.  Steering seems easy but I'm not having luck finding what I might need.

Admiral

Re: Etec remote throttle.

Remote Control Adapter
Evinrude® E-TEC® 25-30 HP - Converts tiller controlled engines to “remote” shift and throttle control.
1. If converting a DT model outboard (tiller with power trim and tilt), Trim
and Tilt Harness, P/N 587028 is required to control trim function from
remote control trim switch.
2. If installation of a trim gauge is desired, order sending unit and
mounting hardware separately.
3. Refer to appropriate parts catalog. For remote steering order Steering
Connector Kit, P/N 5009753.

You can use any of the Evinrude shift&throttle remote control boxes for your motor

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Drg
Mate

I picked up remote throttle 5006180.  The control cables seem very straight forward.  My motor does not have electric start or power trim and tilt.  The remote throttle I got is NOS and has no power trim or tilt switch.  What harness do I use so that my kill switch works?  Do I have to make my own.  Really my question is how do I hook the 6 pin connector to the outboard?

Captain

You can get a BRP wiring harness (MWS for about $150) which will plug into the engine and control box, also gives a lot of other connectors for gauges. With this harness you will to turn the key on to rope start, then the key will work as an off and kill switch. The kill lanyard on that box just rotates the key to off when pulled.
Now for quick, cheap, and easy. Remove the kill switch from the tiller arm, extend the two wires to your helm, and mount the switch up there.
Captain

The only function the key switch will do is to ground or unground the black wire with yellow stripe.
Admiral

If you wish, there are keyswitch panels that you can purchase from any Evinrude dealer that use a cable that connects to the engine giving you on and off, plus safety switch activation if ever needed.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.