Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate
jerry-rigged

Etech 115 vs 115 HO?

Howdy gang. Looking at buying a shallow water, tunnel hull bay boat, 18' rated 130hp max. Motor will be on a hydrolic jackplate. Dealer recommends 115 or 130 Etech. With the 115HO, what is different? Does the HO have a low water pickup? Maybe a few extra HP, but not as much as the standard 130? Thanks, Jerry
Please use plain text.
Admiral
BluewaterBill

Re: Etech 115 vs 115 HO?

Neither gearcase on the 115 has low water  pickups, that is for the big block V6's.

The 115HO and the 130 perform about the same but the 130 has nicer "manners" and can have the oil programming set for reduced consumption using the synthetic XD-100 lubricant.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat"
                                                 --- Travis McGee

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with a repair. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Please use plain text.
Skipper
crlwms

I am not an Evinrude mechanic, but I own a 2012 115HO that is set on 100XD for oil usage (I am certain, I have seen it on the dealer's laptop).  I have been led to believe there is no difference between the 130 and the 115HO except for the stickers.  Something like 126 horsepower for both.  I have also read that the XD100 setting isn't for the big HO's like 250.

From my experience with 150 hours, the 4000 rpm level is where the manners are a bit sloppy as the exhaust is changing for higher RPMs.  I tend to run 3800 or 4150 to avoid the transition back and forth (diverter in one position without changing).  My two cents worth anyway.

Please use plain text.
Skipper
Rosemead

I believe from the 150HO and Up the HP range on the HO's the XD100 setting is not available. It definitely is on my 2011 115HO (which is the setting I run it on).
Please use plain text.