Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

Evinrude 25 1978 Model 25853c Please ID

Hello everyone.

I own the motor described in the subject, and I'm beginning to wonder if it's been modified.

I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me the name of the button the arrow is pointing to in the first pic. The other two pics are the "cap" that goes on the button. It has to remain on, and pushed in tightly, for the engine to run.

Thanks in advance!

boat.jpg

key.jpg

key2.jpg

Admiral

Re: Evinrude 25 1978 Model 25853c Please ID

[ Edited ]

1 button is the START button and the other is the  STOP (kill) switch or safety switch.  You can order an owners manual from www,outboardbooks,com

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                                                 -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Mate

[ Edited ]

Thank you.

I have the original owner's manual, and the diagrams only show 2 buttons in that spot: choke knob, and the Stop Button.

It doesn't even list a start button.

That said, the trouble I'm having is that I have to keep the rubber knob in pics 2 / 3 tightly on the white button above. I'm told it is a "kill switch". The rubber knob is old and loosening, and when pulled off the white button kills the engine.

I'm looking for a replacement, but can't hunt down exact names or product numbers.

Thanks!

Admiral

[ Edited ]

The engine may have had an electric start kit installed at some time.

Any Evinrude dealer can assist and order the parts for you.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Mate

That's what I'm starting to think. Thanks for the help.
Admiral

You are welcome. Go enjoy !