Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate
Glasspar69

Evinrude E-tec 25,30 or 40hp ?

Hello E-nation i just joined enation and it feels great! Know down to business . i am on the market for a new evinrude etec 25,30,or 40hp i own a 1969 glasspar 14ft fishing boat and i am repowering the boat from a 1990 15hp johnson outboard I am leaning to the etec 30 and 40hp because i want good top end speed to get from fishing spot to fishing spot i want the 40hp etec but not sure if the 17in. transom will handle it so i am willing to build the transom up higher if necissary to get the 40hp etec. and i am curious i saw a video on youtube if you want to watch it type into the search 1958 duracraft and click on the one that says 1958 duracraft and evinrude etec. because my boat is very similar to that boat but newer and he has a bigger transom and he said that he replaced the transom to make it bigger and am wondering if i can do that with my boat to put the 40hp etec on it thanks!                please reply back!                           Spend more time on the water!

Please use plain text.
Admiral
BluewaterBill

Re: Evinrude E-tec 25,30 or 40hp ?

We can't help you with boat work, but be advised that standard transom heights are 15" and 20" measured 90° from the keel, straight up to the transom edge. In addition, it is important not to overpower the boat as the 40hp may be too big of a motor for your fourteen footer. Contact a knowledgeable dealer or boat surveyor for their recommendation of engine size and weight because your rig was produced before the Federal horsepower ratings were required. Be safe on the water !

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat"
                                                 --- Travis McGee

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with a repair. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Please use plain text.
Mate
Glasspar69

thanks for the response i have already contacted a dealer and they could not help me they said to follow what the capacity plate says but i have searched from bow to stern inside and out and could not find one. so do not know what to do but ask people on enation and etec owners group.com but i have asked a different dealer and they said they think the max hp rating is 30hp so i should probably stick with around that so i will buy the etec 25 or 30hp    Thanks!                                                                              Spend more time on the water!

Please use plain text.
Admiral
BluewaterBill

There is a website for Glaspar owners and that may be a source of info for you.

http://classicglasspars.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=featured&Itemid=435

Good luck.

--- Travis McGee

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. If you elect to do it yourself, be sure to use caution, common sense, and to observe all safety procedures in the vicinity of gasoline, moving engine parts, high temperature components, heavy items, and electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with a repair. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.
Please use plain text.
Mate
Glasspar69

thanks for that website Bluewater Bill that helped me figure out that my glasspar boat is from the Lido glasspar series I was not able to get specific numbers for hp rating but they said you would get the best performance out of it if you put a medium sized outboard on it. but i have not been able to figure what hp size they are refering to but i will try to figure that out on the web.  Thanks agian for the website.                                                     Spend more time on the water!

Please use plain text.
Mate
bamafan

Your boat manufacturer should have a horsepower rating assigned to your boat based on the size of the boat.

Example: I have a crestliner aluminum boat  15ft.10ins. long and my manufacturer recommends a motor no larger than a 35 H.P.

Please use plain text.
Admiral
BluewaterBill

Mandatory horsepower ratings came about in 1973  from a Boat and Safety Act passed by Congress. Earlier boats did not have government mandated requirements for power or capacity.

--- Travis McGee

Please use plain text.