Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Evinrude OEM Adoption

I was at the Milwaukee boat show and was speaking with several boat dealers; I noticed that Evinrude had pretty low penetration in the market otherwise dominated by Mercury and Yamaha.  In speaking with the dealers, there was a "slow drone" about 4 Stroke vs. 2 Stroke technology..I'm getting good performance so I'm not sure what the big deal is.  I have a G2-200 and love it. I'm curious as to why we're not seeing more adoption of Evinrude if these engines are as good as what I have experienced. What gives?

Craig

Captain

Re: Evinrude OEM Adoption

I think the main reason is that Mercury and Yamaha own the transom of many boat companies. And a lot of people do not get excited by an outboard motor whereas we 2 stroke people are loyal to the performance and acceleration that Evinrude allows us to enjoy!

Admiral

Re: Evinrude OEM Adoption

You bring up some valid points, and Beerman does too.

Yamaha does not own many transoms like Mercury but they do work deals with boatbuilders to promote their motors.  You may notice that the boating magazines and the online boat tests show remarkable performance and fuel economy numbers with the Evinrude E-TEC G2 engines against the current crop of 4-strokes.

Outboard motors are not like cars where new ones are purchased perhaps every 3 years. It is a slower turnover rate and even though Evinrude products are more advantageous in all categories, it will take time to overtake the sales leaders in the industry.

Ever since the Evinrude E-TEC G2 introduction, sales have increased steadily and the G2 engine family is growing. Expect to see more and more new Evinrudes this upcoming season.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.