Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Reply
Highlighted
Skipper
Posts: 6
Registered: 2 weeks ago
Accepted Solution

Fuel accuracy on my new G2 300 icon 4.3

I have a question about my icon 4.3 screen fuel level. The tank was filled 132 gallons and so I calibrated the level and it’s showing on my gauge. I just used my boat for the last 6 days and used the trip function every time. Adding up the total fuel burned , it was 75 gallons. With this being said, the digital fuel meter still shows slightly above 1/2 a tank. Is there anyway of adjusting the gauge? Also is the total fuel burned pretty accurate when using the trip function of my icon screen? Thanks for the help . Jim
Captain
Posts: 84
Registered: ‎10-21-2015

Re: Fuel accuracy on my new G2 300 icon 4.3

The 4.3" display is presenting the fluid level which is being broadcast by the source of the signal.  Typically, the sender will be connected to one of the available inputs on the contol head.  We'll assume that is how your boat is rigged.

 

You stated "The tank was filled 132 gallons and so I calibrated the level".  Did you perform a 1, 2, 3, or 5 point calibration?  A 5 point calibration will result in the most accurate fluid level indication followed by a 3 and 2 point calibration.  Your entry makes it sound as if you only calibrated the full level.  Is that accurate?  If so, you are lucky it is reading that accurately.

 

The fuel flow totalizing function of the instruments is based upon the broadcast fuel flow data from the engine EMM.  History has demonstrated that it is a quite accurate data source.

 

 

Captain
Posts: 161
Registered: ‎09-12-2016

Re: Fuel accuracy on my new G2 300 icon 4.3


@ElderSparky wrote:

The 4.3" display is presenting the fluid level which is being broadcast by the source of the signal.  Typically, the sender will be connected to one of the available inputs on the contol head.  We'll assume that is how your boat is rigged.

 

You stated "The tank was filled 132 gallons and so I calibrated the level".  Did you perform a 1, 2, 3, or 5 point calibration?  A 5 point calibration will result in the most accurate fluid level indication followed by a 3 and 2 point calibration.  Your entry makes it sound as if you only calibrated the full level.  Is that accurate?  If so, you are lucky it is reading that accurately.

 

The fuel flow totalizing function of the instruments is based upon the broadcast fuel flow data from the engine EMM.  History has demonstrated that it is a quite accurate data source.

 

 


What NMEA PGN is used for fuel flow? Is it PGN 127497?

Skipper
Posts: 6
Registered: 2 weeks ago

Re: Fuel accuracy on my new G2 300 icon 4.3

I contented to the fuel tank wires on the controller. Unfortunately the tank was filled before the gauge was hooked up. So I could only do a 1 point calibration. Because I’m using my boat for fishing it would be hard to drain the tank and do a 5 point calibration. Is there anyway of getting a better reading?
Captain
Posts: 84
Registered: ‎10-21-2015

Re: Fuel accuracy on my new G2 300 icon 4.3

The EMM broadcasts fuel rate uaing PGN 127489 Engine Parameters, Dynamic

Captain
Posts: 84
Registered: ‎10-21-2015

Re: Fuel accuracy on my new G2 300 icon 4.3

With the tank filled, that does pose a bit of a problem.  My suggestion is to start again with the tank filled.  You have already calibrated the full point so you are good there.  Using your trip functions, run until you are at the 3/4 point based upon total fuel burn and the known/assumed fuel tank capacity.  Set the 3/4 point calibration.  Continue doing this at the 1/2 and 1/4 points as you are able to meet the conditions.  You will get it a lot closer than it is with the default calibration.  Unfortunately, sender tolerances and tank profiles wildly vary and are not conducive to using a default calibration with extreme accuracy.

Admiral
Posts: 6,744
Registered: ‎07-14-2011

Re: Fuel accuracy on my new G2 300 icon 4.3

 

 

One thing to keep in mind with the fuel gauge is that if your gas tank is not a true rectangular shape, but has tapered sides to fit between the stringers and the hull, is that 1/2 fuel level is not 1/2 of tank capacity.

 

As Elder Sparky mentioned, refer to the fuel flow total to calibrate the 1/2 tank point and the others and not the tank float readings.

 

 

 


"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 


 



***************

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.


Captain
Posts: 161
Registered: ‎09-12-2016

Re: Fuel accuracy on my new G2 300 icon 4.3


@ElderSparky wrote:

The EMM broadcasts fuel rate uaing PGN 127489 Engine Parameters, Dynamic


How do devices determine fuel used on a trip from the rate? Devices like elink, 4.3 ect

Captain
Posts: 84
Registered: ‎10-21-2015

Re: Fuel accuracy on my new G2 300 icon 4.3

By integrating the instantaneous fuel flow data over time.  For example, if the PGN data is indicating 2 gallons per hour and the instrument accumulates this value for a period of 60 minutes, the resultant answer will be 2 gallons consumed.

Captain
Posts: 161
Registered: ‎09-12-2016

Re: Fuel accuracy on my new G2 300 icon 4.3

[ Edited ]

@ElderSparky wrote:

By integrating the instantaneous fuel flow data over time.  For example, if the PGN data is indicating 2 gallons per hour and the instrument accumulates this value for a period of 60 minutes, the resultant answer will be 2 gallons consumed.


Does the EMM send this message when the rate changes, or periodically, if  so what the period?