Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

Fuel injector issue

Hello,

im looking for some help with my 2005 etec 200hp. I took the engine into my local dealer after a no start issue.they told me my EMM need to be replaced because it has in internal short on fuel injector 5.

I told them I would think about it as they quoted me $2600 ouch... any ways when I got the boat home I pulled the wires off fuel injector 5 and the motor fired right up. 

My my question is wouldn’t this indicate the injector has failed and not the EMM?

Thanks

Admiral

Re: Fuel injector issue

Did they use an ohmmeter to check for a shorted wiring harness or #5 injector first?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Not sure, they didn’t tell me anything except I needed a new EMM.

I checked the failed injector #5 with my fluke meter and found the resistance was different from #6.

Also a couple of the pins showed OL on my meter. I was unable to get my test leads into the wiring harness from the EMM as the holes are to small.

I just find it weird that when the injector is hooked up the 55 volt circuit light on the EMM won’t illuminate and the motor won’t start and then when you pull the wires from the fuel injector the EMM light comes on and the motor fires up. If the EMM was shorted wouldn’t it still be shorted with the injector wires pulled?
Admiral

Possibly the EMM or the injector (or wiring harness) is shorted and that draws excessive current which in turn lowers the available voltage to other injectors and components. When #5 is disconnected, the circuit is not completed and the other items receive the correct voltage and current.

We can only surmise as we did not do the testing.  Ask your dealer to talk to Evinrude Dealer Support to see if they can participate in any way to help you out. It's always worth a try.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Sounds like a shorted #5 injector. Since the 55volt system light comes on when it is unplugged you can do more testing without cranking the engine. If the wires will reach, plug #5 wire into #3 injector and then 3 into 5, Do Not start the engine. This will indicate if it is a shorted injector.
Skipper

You may also want to get a quote from a few other dealers. A new emm is about $1800.00 and takes no more than a few hours to change. I think you can do better

Captain

Hobie wrote:

You may also want to get a quote from a few other dealers. A new emm is about $1800.00 and takes no more than a few hours to change. I think you can do better

I beleive he is in Canada, so his $2600.00 is CDN dollars, so I doubt there is much room there.

Captain

Under static conditions (not cranking engine) the EMM injector outputs are not being activated.  Therefore, defective injector or not, there should be no current flow through the injector and/or EMM injector drive output.

Based upon what I have read here, the issue is most likely a shorted injector driver (in the EMM).  Under static conditions, plugging in the #5 injector causes current to flow from the 55V source, through the injector and to ground through the injector driver in the EMM.

The injector itself is probably also defective due to current flowing through it for an extended period of time after the injector driver shorted.

Mate

Thanks for all the replys everyone. I called the local dealer a couple days ago to find out a little more Information and they told me they would have the mechanic call me right back... That has yet to happen.(less then impressed with there customer service).

I have now taken the boat to a mechanic a 1.5 hour drive away to get a second opinion.

I will let you know what they determine is the problem.

Thanks again.
Highlighted
Captain

Your description of the situation certainly does point to a failed (shorted) injector driver in the EMM.  The injector has 55V appried to one of the two terminals constantly when in operation.  The other terminal is pulled to ground through the EMM when it is appropriate to fire the injector.

As you state that the 55V indicator LED in the EMM does not indicate readiness when connected to the injector but does so when disconnected further validates the probable fault.  If the 55V wire were shorted to ground, the LED would likely not change status by simply disconnecting from the injector.  You could validate by measuing for current flow through the lead from injector which connects to EMM.  Key on, engine off there should be no current flow unless the EMM injector driver is shorted.

The probable reason for the resistance measurement difference is because the injector driver shorted, uncontrolled current through the injector has overheated the coil within the injector causing a change in resistance of same.  Injector likely requires replacement as well.