Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper
Accepted Solution

G2-225HP battery drain

I recently purchased a 2017 G2-225HP and I'm experiencing problems with starting the engine.

This is my first Evinrude product. I've owned other boats with a different outboard brand in several boats over the last 30 years.

After fully charging the Series 31 AGM battery, the boat will not start after 3 hours of use.

These 3 hours of use might include the initial starting of the engine to back it off the trailer, then a 10 minute drive to a fishing spot.

After about 3 hours of use, it often won't start. Also, it has started after I waited a couple of minutes later and truied it again.

But it could also happen the first time I try to start it and back it off of the trailer.

It sounds to me like there is a short in the wiring or the starter?

I have two depth finders connected to the cranking battery, and other than the Evinrude gauge and water pressure/fuel/speedometer, nothing else is connected.

I've had it in the shop twice. 

The first time they moved all of the accessories to the trolling motor batteries (24 volt - which may have caused issues with my depth finders and interiro lighting) as well as a main kill switch that breaks the circuit from the batteries to all equipment. The intent was to completely isolate the G2 to the cranking battery.

First time out, it won't start. I took it back to the dealer again and told them to connect the accessories back to the cranking battery and try again.

It's in the shop now for 2nd time. The dealer texted me and said that the boat manufacturer is shipping a second cranking battery and a second charge lead from the engine. They said that the battery is not offering enough voltage to the G2.

I think they meant to say Evinrude suggested this but I'm not sure.

So is anyone else out there having issues like this?

You can imagine my frustration after spending the money for a boat/motor and then have to tell your grandson and wife that the boat isn't working.

Thanks for any advice you can share.

Regards

Captain

Re: G2-225HP battery drain

First, no wing nuts on the battery, only star washers and he nuts. Does the engine when "not starting" turn slowly or not at all? Also which control (binacle), the Icon II with a neutral indicator light or the Icon basic,, black one with just F R N letters on it?
Admiral

A sharp tech would have to check out the charging system and the wiring to make sure everything is setup correctly and that the motor charges the battery (batteries) as it should.  

There should never be anything else attached to the trolling motor batteries that powers boat items.

It is possible that there is an intermittent connection somewhere (possibly in the battery and cables) that could cause a no-start condition. Ask the dealer if the key switch has been replaced with the newer style as some older ones exhibited issues.

If the dealer cannot solve the problem, please send the serial number and a description of the engine history with dealer name to  brp.care@brp.com

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Thanks for responding Rick.

Does the engine when "not starting" turn slowly or not at all?

One time it will turn slowly, like when a cranking battery is low. The next time it will engage the starter and nothing happens after the initial sounds coming from the engine. The next time it will start right away.

Which control (binacle), the Icon II with a neutral indicator light or the Icon basic,, black one with just F R N letters on it?

I believe I have the basic controls. It's been a while since I saw the boat but I'm pretty sure it's the basic controls.   talked to service a moment ago and they are checking to make sure it's ready for pickup. Once I get it back I'll follow up. 

Skipper

Thanks for responding Bill.

I'm sharing this suggestion with the service department.

Now, the horn doesn't work. It used to work. I suspect that it may have been toasted by hooking it up to 24volts.

Skipper

UPDATE 11/12/17

Broight boat hime from the shop and charged batteries overnight.

Attempted to start the engine in the driveway. 1st attempt failed (starter engaged for a split second and then nothing). 2nd and 3rd attempt was successful.

Took boat to the lake. 1st attempt failed (sounds like a weak battery and then dead). 2nd attempt and all other attempts passed.

New problem:

When idling in gear, engine shuts off after approximately 35-40 seconds of run time.

Endine does not shut off when driving on plane.

Frustrating!

Admiral

It sounds like you have a keyswitch or intermittent wiring problem. What does your dealer say?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

It was the key switch.

It was replaced and I haven't had an issue since.

Thanks!!!